to build, or not to build...

Started by afischer82, September 21, 2006, 11:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afischer82

...that is the question

I've built three boxes thus far--two TS808s and a BSIABII.  I need a power supply to power my pedals and my tuner, and since a pedal board is in the near future I would like to get this done soon.  All of the posts, layouts, how-to's, etc. I find on these things warn of the risk involved with a build like this.  If I were to build a power supply, I would probably buy the Small Wart 200 kit from Small Bear.  I can't say that I'm an expert on this stuff, but my knowledge is ever-improving, and I'm very careful during the course of a build, and would be during testing of something like this.  Should I attempt this build?

If not, why?  Also if not, what commercial power supplies should I look at purchasing?

Thanks for your help!
Andy

Meanderthal

Go for it! Just don't solder while plugged in!

If you want a good inexpensive power supply I would recommend the Godlyke.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

petemoore

If not, why?  Also if not, what commercial power supplies should I look at purchasing?
  I copped Visual Sound One Spot Adapters, skinny and take only one spot on a power strip, best dern dapter buys I've ever made, super low noise and 1700 ma.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

John Squire

I've got the One Spot too. It's good and cheap. It can power a LOT of pedals too. I've got 6 on it at this time. Two of them are hogs.

Rafa

If you are careful, do it.
Remember the basic rules, hand in the pocket, etc

zpyder

A while back I purchased 2 adapters from a guy on eBay for a total of around $10+shipping.  They are laptop-style (where there's the plug, then a length of cord, then the box, then a length of cord again) so they also only use 1 spot on a surge protector.  They are rated at 2A each and I am currently running something like 6 pedals on one - they other I just keep as backup.  I can't complain about these things- they're 9v/2A, slimline, take only one spot on the strip... I was worried that I would have "noise" issues, but I just haven't experienced any... my 2 cents...

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.