SkyRipper, Freeper, Neoctavia and Easy Vibe build w/pics

Started by tungngruv, September 24, 2006, 11:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

The longer I play guitar the more I realize what cool playing there was in the past. Not slamming modern music by any means but older bands like Jethro Tull, Bad Co., ZZTop, Cream, Hendrix etc..... had great guitar tones/chord progressions and some of the solo's are amazing still to this day, while using the most basic of tools. So I decided to go retro for a while and built this Fuzz, Octave, Phase and Wah. Along with the Boss tuner, I'm getting some great fuzz tones, cool sounding wah's (the Freeper wah is unbelievably cool while not using any inductor), nice upper octaves and great sounding vibe and phasing. This is the happiest I have been with a rig in a long time and thanks to this forum and the people who design this stuff and help put it together, I made them all myself.

Aharon

Nice work .....nice amp and nice Tele..................I'm building one right now and it's about 80% done.I'm also considering a humbucker with a split coil sw !!!!.
Rock on ....................
Aharon
Aharon

John Lyons

Very nice! clean as usual, Raco done proud! I like those large Raco ones as well.
That sky ripper keeps your memory sharp with all those controls huh?
Did you ever get to post any easy vibe clips?

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Roobin

petemoore

Industrial Strength Vibes !
  That's the first time I've seen the longer RACO shown in your Pic, I would have liked them, my two 'largies' are made from wood instead.
  Looks cool !, and will look like that for some time to come !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Austin73

hell I have so got to build me one of those sky ripper things. Will it matter if i just use 2n3904 for the npn version without checking all the hfe's?

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Austin73

has anyone got the schematic for that monster? Just found the perf layout but need the pot values etc

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Alex C

Wonderful work, thanks for the gut shots too; I love those!  Those large RACOs are impressive, indeed.  Where did you get them?  I've not seen them at Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc.   Those look fantastic for multi effects, and even a cheap amp chassis.  Great stuff.

-Alex

markm

Very Nice!
I like the way you mounted the battery to the side of the box.
Very clever  8)

tungngruv

Schematic is at Ampage.Org    The Raco I bought off ebay, they are called "ganged" raco's. I havent seen any more since I bought this one.
QuoteWill it matter if i just use 2n3904 for the npn version without checking all the hfe's?
Nope, mine were just out of the package, soldered in. Probably a good idea to socket the Germaniums though, I had to be real carefull not to overheat them.

jmusser

I have never seen a Raco box that big! I knew there had to be such a thing for wiring gangs of light switches for something like a board room, but I have just never seen one. (I wonder if they would be sa special order? Probably.) If you have some way to do a sound sample, I would love to here the Freeper. I remember when Joe came out with that, but you're the first one I recall that's actually built one. You do clean work BTW.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

jmusser

Thanks for the samples. I like the tone of it, but it seems like it doesn't have much of a sweep. Of course, that could be purely the way you prefer it and have it set up. The first sample reminds me of the tone of the guitar and wah on "If" by Bread. It does have a sound that seems unique to the Vox and Dunlop pedals I've heard. It's nice to finally get to hear it!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

John Lyons

Plug for tungngruv!
Go to his site linked under his posts, lots of very nice samples of the Joe Gagan stuff (including the skyripper) and lots more.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Austin73

still can't find the schematic for the sky ripper. Can anyone send me the exact page link or even the schematic itself

Cheers

Austin

Doug_H

http://sounds.ampage.org/

Beautiful work, tungngruv! I gave up on the RACOs since the aluminum boxes are getting so cheap. But your photos brought a tear to my eye... Pure nostalgia. :icon_mrgreen:

KerryF

Nice job!  It looks great!  I showed my dad the pictures of those pedals and the soundclips for the SkyRipper from your site.  Hes said that I had to build this pedal.  It sounds great!  Just dont want to spend all the money on all of those switches  ;D.  Maybe I will build that eventually though.