Some help needed with my in built effects...

Started by pedaltastic, September 27, 2006, 07:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedaltastic

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum although I've been avidly reading it for the past few months!

This is tad off topic as its not strictly speaking stompboxes.. but i'll give it a go:

I've built a tasty handful of diy pedals now, and since I'm fixing up my guitar with a new neck (the last one cracked) I thought I'd do two things at once at put some effects in my guitar, something I've always wanted to do.

I'm fine with off-board wiring when it comes to pedals but i'm a little uncertain with my guitar. I took a peek inside and on the output jack socket theres a wire to the shield and one to the tip. The tip must be the output signal so thats the bit coming from the pickups right?

Now the bit I'm confused about is how to put in the battery so it's only on when my guitar is plugged in / the effects are being used. I'm not sure if this is right, but I'm assuming the best way to do this is to replace the mono output jack socket with a stereo one and just slap the black -ve battery lead onto the ring tab like so:
I'm going to use one piece of vero board :S but using two effects (probably fuzz/distortion and a tremolo - flashing LEDs!).

Thanks very much for your help,

Alex

goosonique

Quote from: pedaltastic on September 27, 2006, 07:26:22 PM

Now the bit I'm confused about is how to put in the battery so it's only on when my guitar is plugged in / the effects are being used. I'm not sure if this is right, but I'm assuming the best way to do this is to replace the mono output jack socket with a stereo one and just slap the black -ve battery lead onto the ring tab like so:

Use a stereo 1/4" jack ... go have a look at GGG and see how its done ...simple !!

<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

pedaltastic

Thanks both of you guys! I can't find the GGG link but since I'm still browsing I'm sure I'll come across something. Time to get routing  :icon_sad:

Unclerny

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

great site.  Design looks like it would work.  watch for induced noise between everything, sheilding a plus.

Good luck  UE
Uncle Ernie's Effects
One Man's Distortion is Another Man's Reality

pedaltastic

Thanks again!

Sorry, I meant I was looking in the site, but couldn't find the specific link on putting in built fx.

It is a good site ;)

pedaltastic

Thanks again, you excellent helpful people! I looked everywhere for that link and it eluded me for a good hour or so (including distractions).

Now I need to find some 3PDT toggle switches - rather than push button for once!

Alex

goosonique

<((one man with courage makes a majority))>