The end of the Small Clone .0027/.0039 mojo cap mystery (for me at least).

Started by skiraly017, September 27, 2006, 10:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I did the research, read all the threads and found all the schematics I could. It's been debated that Analogman's secret ingredient is the .0039 cap. I needed to settle this once and for all so I built two Small Clones with as close to identical parts as I could (the parts were all the same brands but you need to take into consideration possible tolerance differences. We are talking 5% here). The Small Clone with the .0029 is brighter sounding, more high end sparkle but loses a little of my guitar's warmth or low end that can be heard while the pedal is bypassed. The Small Clone with the .0039 keeps the warmth and low end but loses a bit of the sparkle. Also, for whatever reason the Small Clone with the .0039 is quieter than the one with the .0027 (the .0039 is almost silent). For those interested, the test gear was a Strat through a Carr Rambler with both pedals powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2.

In the end I don't think there's any mojo to be had. I think it all comes down to personal preference. I do plan on trying a .0033 cap to see if I can achieve a sound right between the two. If I can, that's all the mojo I need.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

analogmike

Glad you tried it yourself, that is how you find out the truth.

p.s. that is not the cap we found that sounded bad. :)

But actually the one we found that was sounding wrong is OK if you build the MN3007 version, so there is no problem with that one.

have fun!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

skiraly017

Quote from: analogmike on September 27, 2006, 11:11:54 PM
Glad you tried it yourself, that is how you find out the truth.

p.s. that is not the cap we found that sounded bad. :)

But actually the one we found that was sounding wrong is OK if you build the MN3007 version, so there is no problem with that one.

have fun!

So, uh Mike...any chance you'd like to fill us in on the secret ingredient?  :icon_mrgreen:
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

roknjohn

Maybe trying 2 .0027uF and 2 .0039uF will get you something between. Worth a shot, but I would guess that the effect may not be as intense and having 4 of the same value. Ah.... the joys of DIY and experimentation.