Thumbs up for the Flipster

Started by Xavier, September 28, 2006, 06:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Just built one for my bass player. Built it after ROG's schematic and Gringo's perf layout

Very, very Ampeg-sounding, and I'm familiar with these amps. My bass player uses a Jerzy Drozd bass with 2 Bartolini buckers that sounds massive to start with, to an SWR head / 4x10" cab.

As we are a Rush tribute band, we launched into YYZ and man it sounds SO similar. It adds some grunt , although if you use too much gain sounds too fuzzy, but in a realistic sounding way.

FWIW I used 2N5457's on mine, basically because a bass needs more headroom than a guitar, and I didn't want it to be a gain monster.

It hisses considerably though, more than any other of my ROG builds, not hum but an audible hiss. Still playable.

A nice circuit, worth trying !!!

zjokka

I was as amazed when I built mine and tested it. The noise is probably the price you pay for the crispy treble response which makes it really worthwile for me.

I did use J201s and a 2N5457 for Q4, but similar fets probably are easier to bias.

ZJ

Bernardduur

I loved mine......

Then I got a Ampeg All tube bass amp

now I never use mine ;)
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

AL

I started one of those a while ago. I guess I should get off my rump and finish it. But, I've got an Ampeg SB-12 so it's a lot easier just to plug into that.  :icon_mrgreen: It would be nice to compare them though.

AL

KerryF

Anyone try it for guitar?  Hows it sound?

zjokka

Quote from: Bernardduur on September 28, 2006, 07:54:00 AM
I loved mine......

Then I got a Ampeg All tube bass amp

now I never use mine ;)

what a compliment to the Flipster! you loved it so much you went to check out the original stuff?

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on September 28, 2006, 01:41:43 PM
Anyone try it for guitar?  Hows it sound?

Heard it's great, but haven't tried it myself, left the project unboxed some time ago when I had trouble finding an enclosure. Will get back to it soon.

zj

zjokka

ok,

went back to my Flipster and the bias having been a pain throughout last time, i was bound for some trimming. measured

Q1 at 4.53V (j201)
Q2 at 8.87V (j201)
Q3 at 9.02V (j201)
Q4 at 4,48V (2n5457)

no matter how I turned the trimmers of Q2-3, it didn't change the voltage. i then unpowered and check the resistance on the trimmers and they went easy or not so easy from 0 to 100k as they should  :icon_eek:. the trimmers are good and there are no solder bridges, otherwise i wouldn't find resistence on them, of course. no sound from the circuit

though i had bias problems before they were not like this and it sounded very ok to say the least. Wonder what time has done to this board?

zj

Xavier

Quote from: zjokka on October 04, 2006, 05:20:00 PM
ok,

went back to my Flipster and the bias having been a pain throughout last time, i was bound for some trimming. measured

Q1 at 4.53V (j201)
Q2 at 8.87V (j201)
Q3 at 9.02V (j201)
Q4 at 4,48V (2n5457)

no matter how I turned the trimmers of Q2-3, it didn't change the voltage. i then unpowered and check the resistance on the trimmers and they went easy or not so easy from 0 to 100k as they should  :icon_eek:. the trimmers are good and there are no solder bridges, otherwise i wouldn't find resistence on them, of course. no sound from the circuit

though i had bias problems before they were not like this and it sounded very ok to say the least. Wonder what time has done to this board?

zj

if you followed Gringo's perf layout you may have experienced what happened to me: Q2 and Q3 source resistors NOT connected to ground. Not because the drawing is bad (it isn't) but it can be kind of confusing