TL062 sub for onboard preamp

Started by runmikeyrun, September 28, 2006, 11:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmikeyrun

I have an active ibanez bass that utilizes a TL062 opamp.  I was reading this thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43731.0

and it said that TL062 was subbed by many others (5532, TL072, 82, and probably more) but the appeal of the 62 was low current draw.  I would have to say that it is very miserly on batteries now, as i only have to change it about once a year.  But i'm always looking for more punch, more oomph, and more bottom end.  From experimenting with opamp muff fuzzes, i can barely discern the difference between them on my basement practice amp, but at the volume levels i play at little changes can become big.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any input or advice before i can get to practice next week to try a few out.  I would like to keep battery consumption down but it's not a big concern if i'm going to get better tone... heh heh.

Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

vanessa

So long as you make sure to unplug the guitar you will not notice much of change from you normal battery usage. These circuits do not have LED's and for the most part (Gibson made one that was a battery hog, it's first with active electronics) these are very simple low current draw circuits. For example in the original Music Man Stingray it had a jack that left the circuit on all the time and you had to unscrew the battery compartment as you rarely had to change the battery. People have stated that having ones with the new jack that turns it off when unplugged is not that big of an improvement and like your bass they only have to change out batteries once every few months.
That said the opamp I would use would be the TL072 as the sub to the TL062. It is a Hi-Fi chip with very low noise. A little more current draw than the TL062 but you should notice a bit of a cleaner signal that has the nice side effect of having a wider frequency range in a circuit like this.

brett

Hi
the 5532 is quieter than the TL072 in most situations, which might be an advanatges.  There no disadvantages of the 5532, either.  For many people, it is the prefered chip for tubescreamers. 
Cheers.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Johan

Quote from: brett on September 29, 2006, 03:30:38 AM
Hi
the 5532 is quieter than the TL072 in most situations, which might be an advanatges.  There no disadvantages of the 5532, either.  For many people, it is the prefered chip for tubescreamers. 
Cheers.

not really true...the 5532 requieres a MUCH lower input impedance ( ~10k instead of ~10M )to funktion properly, and it depends on the circuit if you can use it where a TL0xx is specified...just a thought. one often overlooked member of the TL-family is the TL052, FET-input, quiet, low consumption and the ability to drive 600ohm..

johan
DON'T PANIC