Boss DS-1 Noise Reduction Mod??

Started by davlaw, September 29, 2006, 09:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davlaw

I'm looking for a mod to reduce the "hiss" w/o effecting the pedals tone. Thanks!

RaceDriver205

Welcome to the forum. There is not really a 'mod' to do this.
Make sure your using the right pickup, as certain settings cancel out hum.
You should look into 'noise gates' if the hum is annoying you, a noise pickup renders the amp completely silent when your not playing a note.

davlaw

I already have a noise gate in my setup. It seems like the DS-1 mods that are available get rid of the "hiss." However, I'm not interested in changing the sound of my pedal, I just want to get rid of the "hiss." I suspect it is as simple as changing one of the caps to filter out the high frequency hiss but i'm not sure which one? If anybody has any ideas I'd be happy to hear from ya! Thanks!

davebungo

A lower noise op-amp may help, but I can't confirm this. e.g. TL071/051.

boogietube

Some people have said that changing the caps to Mica and Poly film will reduce the noise in pedals.
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

343 Salty Beans

If it's a high frequency hiss, and the volume pot works like most volume pots around here (lug 2 goes to output), Aron has several mods and tips put together here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wb/pages/build-your-own-stompboxes/stuff-to-read/simple-modstips.php

Specifically, the one that has a cap on the volume pot from signal to ground (lugs 1 to 3) may clear up your problem. Try higher caps progressively until the noise is low but the pedal still sounds the way you want it.

Satch12879

It's from the high gain of the design; yes a lower noise opamp will help.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

RaceDriver205

OK, im officially going to shut the hell up from now on.

343 Salty Beans

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on September 30, 2006, 08:36:18 PM
OK, im officially going to shut the hell up from now on.

:) where there's a will (and a forum full of knowledged people), there's a way.

davlaw

Hey Racedriver, I didn't mean to tick you off, I was just trying to give a little more insight into what I'm trying to accomplish. Sorry about that man.......I appreciate all the input so far. I'm just hoping that somebody has already been down this road before and can help me out. I really like the "stock" DS-1 sound of my pedal and I don't want to change it. I just want to get rid of some of that irritating "hiss." I'm using a noise gate to get rid of some of it but I really want to get rid of it in the pedal. I think I'm going to try the cap across lugs 1 and 3 of the level pot idea but I'm not sure if it will work....it's worth a try. I'll let ya'll know........

captntasty

Hey there...  I can't offer much help on mods but out of curiosity want to ask:

Where do you keep the gain set to?  Dimed or back a little? 

Where do you keep your tone set to?  Dimed or back toward 12 noon?

I've used this pedal for many years (it is pretty much my all-time fave) and while it can be noisy (it is fairly high gain) I've never had too much hiss.
One secret to this pedal, and I know some others out there will back me up, is that anything above 12 noon on the tone is virtually useless - mine stays at 11 o'clock.  As for gain, I like going full blast only when I need feedback, otherwise it's back to about 1 or 2 o'clock.

I would definitely think the cap trick would help a great deal...  just my .02....
Peace
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

davlaw

I have to agree, it's my favorite too. I picked it up at a pawn shop a few years ago and it's been the best 20 bucks i ever spent. My tone setting is about 9 o'clock, my level is about 9 o'clock, and distortion is maxed out. I'll try backing it off a bit and see what happens. Don't know why that never occurred to me. I guess I've just always loved it wide open.

I probably should just refer to the "hiss" as noise, but it kinda sounds to me like "tape hiss" from an old cassette tape. All I know is I sure do want to get rid of it. I'm afraid that replacing the op amp would change the tone, but I suppose I could always add a socket to make it easier to try different ones and put the old one back if I don't like it.

Thanks for the tips!