ADA Flanger (SAD1024) Information

Started by moosapotamus, October 01, 2006, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosapotamus

Not sure why, but all of a sudden, just over the past several weeks, I've been pounded with email requests for this info. So here's what I've got...

ADA Flanger (SAD1024) Information

If you have any questions about any of those ADA Flanger files, please post them here for the interest of everyone. I am not the creator of any of this info, so please don't PM or email me with questions about any of it unless you are one of the authors. If you are the author of any of the info I've posted and would prefer that I NOT host it from my site, please contact me and I will very apologetically remove it ASAP.

I have never found the time to build one of my own. But, based on the sudden resurgence of interest, and after another listen to that mp3 file that Steve Irwin sent me, I probably should. 8)

Have fun!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

RaceDriver205

I liked the look of that layout, until I saw tracks going between IC pins. Stuff that! :D

markusw

Thanks for collecting all the data!! :)

Markus

Rob Strand

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

StephenGiles

Markus has raised a few points with me about my drawing, in particular concerning power connections. The symbols I have used, I understand, but possibly don't conform to any standard set of symbols - or is it symbals? - and so confusion could arise with other readers.  I'm so cold this morning my brain isn't functioning!!! If we can agree (a big IF!) on a standard set of power symbols I'll update the circuit.

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Rob Strand

> If we can agree

LOL!  We need a commitee then?

I have a strong preference to give power rails that are not grounds names, the symbol is no longer important.  For example +15V and +VD for the digital stuff.  Usually you can get away with different symbols for the grounds eg. open triangle, filled triangle (the patternated triangle you have is fine); I like the old style horizontal lines that get smaller for the "main" ground.  Preferably the symbols used for power aren't the same as grounds - this an the naming of power rails makes it hard to get things mixed up.

BTW:  What type of opamps are used?  Is the LFO opamp the same as the audio?
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

RedHouse

Hey Charlie, where did you put your Univibe info on your new site? (or is it gone)

{EDIT} ...ooops never mind, I found it,
http://moosapotamus.net/THINGS/univibe.htm

moosapotamus

8)

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 02, 2006, 08:17:42 AMIf we can agree (a big IF!) on a standard set of power symbols I'll update the circuit.

Stephen - I personally grant you the executive authority to update your very nice drawing as you see fit.  :-*
Seriously tho, I'd expect anyone posessing the necessary skils to build one of these would have no problem interpreting the scheme the way you have drawn it. Heck, it even makes sense to me. ;)

Thanks again to all the folks who have developed and made this info available. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

markusw

QuoteMarkus has raised a few points with me about my drawing, in particular concerning power connections.
I was asking for the missing threshold pot ;)
Didn't look at the ps symbols in that detail but I assumed that all upward pointing triangles were V+.
Anyway, I'm with Rob in that "I have a strong preference to give power rails that are not grounds names, the symbol is no longer important. "

BTW, looking at the available layout makes me a bit dizzy....the traces are pretty thin  :o
What's actually the smallest trace width that is usefull, i.e. works and can be done with photo sensitive boards DIY at home?

Regards,

Markus

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

moosapotamus

Quote from: markusw on October 02, 2006, 01:58:21 PMBTW, looking at the available layout makes me a bit dizzy....the traces are pretty thin  :o
What's actually the smallest trace width that is usefull, i.e. works and can be done with photo sensitive boards DIY at home?

What if someone were to take the time to recreate the layout in ExpressPCB, for example? If at least ~10 people were interested in a small group buy, the cost for a fabbed PCB with plated-thru holes would probably be less than $20... pretty close to the cost of an SAD1024. If 20 people, maybe ~$15 each. And actually, that would even be a double-sided PCB, so some of those skinny traces could be brought over to the top of the board and widened to a standard width.

If enough folks are interested, I might be willing to do the work and post the layout for review prior to ordering. Any takers? 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

bluesdevil

Count me in on buying a PCB, if it happens. I've got a SAD1024 coming any day now that I was going to use in an Electric Mistress build, but will gladly put aside for this project.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

cockaroacha

Count me in for at least two PCBs if we get them from Express PCB!!!

LOTUS

stobiepole

Horace

Ry

moosapotamus

OK, cool. Including myself, that's 9 so far, and I expect there might be more to come. I'll start working on a "first draft".

What do folks think about the power supply? I'm only seeing +15V in the schemes, right?
So, I guess this could be setup to use an 18VDC wall wart supply, with something like an LM7815 or LM317 on the PCB to get regulated +15V for the circuit. To me, this seems better than installing a transformer and running the pedal on AC mains like the schematics show. What do other folks think about this? Any other ideas, preferences?

FYI - looks like smallbear stocks the SAD1024. ;)

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

KB

Count me in.

I tried to veroboard it ala  Stephen Giles but gave up, just too confusing - hats of to Stephen for getting his too work, obviously has alot more patience than me.

So that's 10

Kevin

Sorry forgot to say  :icon_redface: 
My preference would be to run from wallwart - safer don't like AC in pedals. 
Stephen told me that he runs his from two 9v batteries when I asked about the power supply so that could also be an option.