Slightly off topic Big muff question

Started by BrianJ, October 02, 2006, 02:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianJ

I bought a Big Muff at GC today and returned about 5 minutes later.  I took it out of the box in the car and noticed the black paint was chipped.  I touched it with my fingernail and to started peeling very easily.   I of course returned it and I intend to buy one online  but I am a little concerned about the next pedal's paint being flaky.   I know it's a stomp box but I'd feel better if someone who owns one would vouch for the quality of construction.

Sorry for the silly off topic, but I need someone to put my mind at ease.

any

LOL... EH pedals and construction quality are two different things....
Usually you can expect to resolder most wiring within a few months of heavy use
and the paint on USA models is notoriously easily scratched with a fingernail.

The newer "mini" and "nano" line is a leap forward in construction though,
so I'd say they are definatly improving on reliabillity with their new production.
I'd say buy a Little Big Muff, great pedal.
It's supposed to sound that way.

Bernardduur

Man, I tried to get rid of the black paint.......

It was impossible with mine :)
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

MartyMart

That series is notorious for having flakey paint !!
I bought a USA BM/Small clone and phaser from aron, when he had some stock a while back, took them apart and
resoldered some spots, then clear coated the outsides to protect the finish a little.
They still looks like new and no missing paint !

I repainted a friends old BM last year, it had almost no paint left on it ... now it's
a psychodelic metallic purple, with chicken head knobs & Dymo labels  :D

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

BrianJ

Thanks, guys.  Any difference sonic difference between the Little Big Muff and the the standard? 

Seljer

by standard you mean the US one, and not the Russian?

according to them its voiced to be somewhere in between those 2.
It still, by all accords, sounds like a Big Muff so theres no problems with that :)

BrianJ

Cool.  I'll get the little one and mod it.

Thanks every one.

Yun

Quote from: BrianJ on October 02, 2006, 01:42:37 PM
Cool.  I'll get the little one and mod it.

Thanks every one.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!, i have a new little BMP, it's all surface mount components, not very mod-able AT ALL!!!!  It was very hard to mod mine. 

Get a russian one if you wanna do mods to it, man....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

D Wagner

Brian,

Don't be afraid of the Little BM.  Sure it has surface mount components, but you can modify it as well.  You can use other SMT parts, or modify it with through hole parts by bending the leads.  Do a search for the mods that Analog Mike did to a few LBMs to get an idea of what is possible.  It looks like a step up in quality compared to the standard Big Muffs.

Derek

BrianJ

Surface mount, huh?  Maybe I'll like it stock - maybe I'll make a whole new board for it....  Any ways It's been a while since I've just "bought" a pedal so  I'm sure I'll have some fun with it.

Anyone have a memory man?  I ordered ordered one on Friday (after months o procrastination) before this whole GC mess.  I hope a pedal that expensive doesn't share the same QC problems.