What did you make for the Blues and still use today?

Started by Hendrik1, September 21, 2006, 08:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovric

Greg_G

bwanasonic

Quote from: brett on September 22, 2006, 08:06:07 AM
To me, the blues involves suggestions of tragedy, deceipt and violence. 

Don't forget sex and drugs/alchohol!  :icon_wink:

Kerry M

Paul Marossy

I haven't built anything specifically for blues, but I think the Shaka Tubes works well with the settings tweaked a little bit. Also, turning down the gain some on my original BSIAB makes it sound more bluesy. My TS808 clone seems to also work well for blues oriented stuff.

RedHouse

Blues, hmmm wow that's even bigger than asking "What did you make for Rock"

To me, Blues has toooooo many guitar faces, here are a few which any one stompbox can't really fill but one or two:
(yeah, we need more boxes)

Robin Trower (Daydream, Too Rolling Stoned, Bridge Of Sighs)
Jimi Hendrix (Hear My Train, Red House, Bleedin' Heart, Voodoo Chile, Who Knows, Little Wing ...etc)
Jimmy Page (You Shook Me, Since I've been Loving You, I Can't Quit You Babe, Tea For One, I'm gonna Crawl)
Allman Bros. (Stormy Monday, Statesboro Blues ...etc, etc, etc)
BB King (anything he does)
Gary Moore (Still Got The Blues For You, Parisian Walkways)
David Gillmore (Learning To Fly, Comfortably Numb, etc, etc)
Jerry Garcia (Positively 4th Street, Row Jimmy, etc)
SRV (Cold Shot, Pride And Joy, etc)

...too much more to list, and not enough stompboxes to try.

bwanasonic

Quote from: RedHouse on September 27, 2006, 11:17:41 PM
To me, Blues has toooooo many guitar faces, here are a few which any one stompbox can't really fill but one or two:

Aside from BB, I would consider most of that list *Blues Rock*. When I think *Blues* tones, I think of the 1950's-mid 60's tones of the pioneers of electric blues:

The *Original* Texas guys, T-Bone Walker, Gatemouth Brown, Guitar Slim, Johnny Guitar Watson, Freddie King and Albert Collins. The *Mississippi* players Muddy Waters, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Earl Hooker, Magic Sam, Hubert Sumlin (w/ Howling Wolf), and Albert King, who brought their sounds north, to Memphis and Chicago. Of course the *primordial*  and defining rock & roll  sounds of Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry and Mickey Baker.

Nothing against blues rock, but if you've never heard where those guys got a lot of their style from, you owe it to yourself to check it out. To really capture the sounds of the original guys, you most likely will be removing pedals from you're signal chain, and really trying to maximize the expressiveness of just your guitar and amp.

Kerry M

nag hammadi

i have been using my point to point (!?!?!?) build of a bsiab II for thy blues.

i still haven't QUITE gotten the squeal tamed at the extreme drive settings, so i have just been using it as my lower gain box.

and just for the record, i knew it wouldn't sound any different point to point, but the insanity factor does kick in once in a while.  my wife says i have a flawed logic chip...

after all, why not spend 5 times as long and WAY more parts?

:icon_mrgreen:
in the face of you all i stand defiant - subhumans

Gilles C

Quote from: Gilles C on September 21, 2006, 09:29:14 PM
Nothing I built is used for Blues...

That's why I'm still searching. The Fat Boostered could be one.

I can get some nice Blues sound with my Boss OD-3, so maybe I should go that way. (cloning the circuit somehow I mean...)

Oh! I just remember I used "A Touch Of Sweetness" from Jay Doyle for a while.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schems/Sweetness.pdf

Gilles

I took it out to take a picture of it. Never had time to label it. People liked its sound, and the way the Blue Led was glowing in the dark.

Gilles