3PDT: Best pins to use ?

Started by Gilles C, October 03, 2006, 01:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

While searching about the GT-2 circuit, I found this thread where using the 2 closest sets of pins for the IN and OUT can cause problems.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43724.0

For my first boxes, I was using the center set of contacts for the LED to keep the IN and OUT contacts separated.

Then I began to use one set of the side contacts to minimize the popping that could be caused by the switching of the LED too close from the input. But then it seems it causes feedback problems...

Nothing's perfect it seems. But then, what would be best to use as a standard?

Gilles

343 Salty Beans

I thought the 1M on the input and output to ground would get rid of that popping, but LED pop is different I guess. I remember Mark Hammer posting how to get rid of LED pop...I can't find where though. Search for discussions about LEDs and pop and you should find it. I'd stick with input and output on the outer lugs, LED in the middle, and use the 1M pulldown resistors and those LED pop solutions if you have LED pop problems.

Pop is a funny word if you type it enough.

darron

Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

jaysg

Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on October 03, 2006, 02:59:57 AM
I thought the 1M on the input and output to ground would get rid of that popping, but LED pop is different I guess. I remember Mark Hammer posting how to get rid of LED pop...I can't find where though. Search for discussions about LEDs and pop and you should find it. I'd stick with input and output on the outer lugs, LED in the middle, and use the 1M pulldown resistors and those LED pop solutions if you have LED pop problems.
I've been looking into this since my fulltone A/B box pops like a mother.  Z. Vex recommends super bright LEDs to minimize the shift to ground.  Orman and Keen have suggestions around RC filtering the pop.  Crud, can do you do attachments?

Gilles C

Well, I been using my own solution that seems to work for LED popping since then, but what I wanted to know was mainly what people prefered to use for the IN and OUT contacts.

In my last layouts, I was using two adjacent sets of contacts, but that thread about the GT-2 made me re-think what I began to use lately. So I think I will go back to using the center contacts for the LED as I was doing before, and change my wiring layouts to go with that.

It will be a nice occasion to check the circuitry I use for the LED...

Gilles