Blend pot questions.

Started by sfr, October 03, 2006, 08:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

I've been using these blend pots in guitars I build or modify lately.  I like it much better than a switch (although I sometimes use it in conjunction with a switch) for getting the perfect sound, and avoids having to deal with two different volume pots to get the blend I want.    (It's a dual ganged pot, where in the center position, the wiper to the hot lug is no resistance, and turning the pot one way or the other only increases resistance across one half of the dual gang pot)

Anyway - the guitar I'm working on now, I've got the room and I'm considering throwing a buffer, (maybe a boost) in the guitar itself.   Is the blend pot still the ideal option it is in an entirely passive system?  I don't want to have to put *two* buffers/boosts in there (one for each p'up) so I'd assume that throwing the blend pot before the circuitry is the best way to go, but given that I'm throwing circuitry into the guitar, is there a way to accomplish the pickup blend effect with a more "standard" pot?  I have the blend pots, I guess I'm just curious.

Also, after running across a couple junked stereos that happened to have the same type of blend pot for their "balance" control, I wonder what else I could use these things for in audio electronics, and what the incentive would be.  The BMP tone stack and the Ampeg scrambler both blend perfectly well with single gang pots.  (Although, actually, if you rigged up a BMP type tone control with one of these things, the "center" position would allow you to have full bass and full treble, probably making for a really obnoxious mid-scoop?)    What would happen in a univibe type speed control with one of these? Part of it would try and go fast and part of it slow and it would just not work, I think?   

Also, does anyone know a supplier for these things besides Stew Mac?  (and broken stereos)  The last couple orders of these I've made from Stew Mac the 250K blend pots have been good, and hte 500K ones have just been regular dual linear taper.  I haven't seen them at any of the places I usually order from.
sent from my orbital space station.

aron

I would leave it the way you have it and simply put the booster at the end of the chain. Less to fool around with and easy to debug and take out of you decide to do so later. I haven't fooled around with those pots much. Seems like a good idea.