*** HELP arbitor fuzzface ***

Started by fuzzchuff, September 26, 2006, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzchuff

yup its me agian i cant get this damn thing working! The fuzz pot on my fuzz face doesnt change the fuzz level ive swapped out the pot for a different one and that didnt fix it. Im using ge transistors/and the resistor values given from smallbear their are no solder bridges or anything its very clean
ives checked the grounds and all the wireing a zillion times im out of ideas with this thing. :'(

q2
c2.10
b10
e0

q1
c2.76
b1.68
e.45

hese the shcematics i used
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/fuzzface.html
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
--  Albert Einstein

djspank

I finished building the fuzz face tonight and it sounds pretty nice, even with the crappy SI transistors I used.  I have the same problem though,  my fuzz control does nothing to alter the tone.   I wonder whether the fact that my circuit is biased for GE transistors has any bearing on whether the fuzz control works or not?  But then that doesn't explain the problem the other guy has as he has GE transistors.  Could someone here who knows what they are talking about enlighten us?

Thanks

mac

The fuzz pot on a working FF does not clean up the distortion when it is turn down. In fact the sound gets muddy. That's why many people replace the pot with a fixed resistor and use the guitar volume. Also a rev log pot works better.
But I guess your pot is doing nothing. The cap should be soldered to the center lug of the pot and to gnd. If you are using positive gnd (pnp ge or si) gnd is the +9v and the (-) side of the cap should face to the pot.

BTW, re post your readings.

q2
c2.10
b10
e0
q1
c2.76
b1.68
e.45

Does not look good...

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

petemoore

Q1C still isn't hooked up to Q2B according to those readings.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R.G.

Good call, Pete. And thank you for digging in on these.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

djspank

Thanks for your help guys its refreshing to find a useful forum like this :)