colorsound fuzz

Started by Hepcat, October 03, 2006, 07:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

I think i am going to put together a parts list for my next project, i am going to build the colorsound one knob fuzz using the dragonfly tutorial . I was looking at the layout and noticed one of the resistors labeled  820 R is this a mistake, should it be 820 K ?  Thanks -Josh-http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album21/COLORSOUND_ONE_KNOB_FUZZ

Dragonfly

nope...no mistake...the "R" is how you designate "ohms"...so 820R = 820 ohms

:)

AC

ps...its a REALLY good sounding fuzz !

Hepcat

cool , thanks alot cant wait !  8)

Thomas P.

on a further note:
sometimes people who are drawing schematics often use "R" to indicate ohms to make sure the reader knows that the value is really in ohm's and the drawer not just forgot a "k" or a "M".

Regards
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

8bitapocalypse

i am in the process of building this also, i have breadboarded it and it works fine seemingly, but i have a couple of questions.

1) is the pot meant to change the fuzz AND the volume, as it seems to do this with my build.

2) RE the 100u cap - i used a 63v electrolytic, would a smaller voltage cap be more suitable?? would this change the sound at all??  i am unsure exactly what voltage caps to use as i have read lots conflicting viewpoints!

any help would be appreciated, this seems like a great forum!!

Dragonfly

Quote from: 8bitapocalypse on October 04, 2006, 06:04:00 PM
i am in the process of building this also, i have breadboarded it and it works fine seemingly, but i have a couple of questions.

1) is the pot meant to change the fuzz AND the volume, as it seems to do this with my build.

the pot shouldn't affect the fuzz, unless you accidentally put it BEFORE the circuit...if done correctly, it only affects the output volume.

2) RE the 100u cap - i used a 63v electrolytic, would a smaller voltage cap be more suitable?? would this change the sound at all??  i am unsure exactly what voltage caps to use as i have read lots conflicting viewpoints!

in this circuit, it won't change the sound a bit...you can use anywhere from a 16v cap on up ....

any help would be appreciated, this seems like a great forum!!

it is...thanks to Aron, RG, Mark, Gus, and WAY too many others to be able to mention...everyone here gives freely of their time and knowledge, and oddly enough, unlike other forums, we don't seem to get all the "trolling", "bashing", and silly internet fights...everyone here keeps it civil !

AC

8bitapocalypse

thanks a lot dragonfly ; )

i have just had a look at my breadboard and the ground wire on the pot is wired 1 'strip' up! will move the wire to the right place and hopefully all will be well! ;D

Barcode80

i'm doing this build too. I have everything built except I have no metal cap trannies. would silicon work? maybe a 2N3904?

Dragonfly

Quote from: Barcode80 on October 08, 2006, 04:21:02 AM
i'm doing this build too. I have everything built except I have no metal cap trannies. would silicon work? maybe a 2N3904?

yep...they'll work fine...i prefer the sound of the bc108/bc109's , but most and npn silicon will work...you can just use transistor sockets and that way you can "audition" transistors in the circuit to find which ones work best for you....

AC

Barcode80

i'm finding the pinout for the BC10x's a little hard to make out from the layout. could you clarify pinout arrangement as it related to the vero layout. i know the emitter is the pin nearest the bottom of the layout, but how are the other two arranged?

Dragonfly

collector at top
base in middle
emitter on bottom

the bc108s have the same pinout as 2n3904's.... ;D

AC

Barcode80

i got no 500k's either. but i do have a 1Meg. would that work? do i need to tie in resistors to make it work?

Hepcat

Just finished the fuzz, i actually built two of them I used a couple  NTE 123a in one of them still experimenting with transistors on the other one couldnt find any BC 109 locally. They both sound really good . Heres a pic I built one of them in a tuna can used a lid they sell at grocery store to  keep cat food  for the bottom, works great! Thanks Dragonfly nice tutorial!

http://jubaglassbeads.com/josh-effectspics-011.jpg

Barcode80

i built the circuit, but i haven't wired it up to the off the board parts and housed it yet. i built a few circuits as a challenge to myself where i build it ALL and don't test it before i put it all together, as a pressure to be very careful and such. so i'm going to build a few all the way and THEN test them.