Soldering a little at a time

Started by jlullo, October 03, 2006, 08:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlullo

I'm out of town for the next month, and I brought my partially populated 808 board with me so that i can finish up everything.  I noticed how corroded the copper traces became since i last worked on my board.  I etched it myself, and it was my first... should i have sprayed something on it before i started soldering, or is it okay?  Should i just make sure to clean it before each time i work on it?

markm

It'd be fine if you just "scuffed" it with a fine Scotch-Brite pad or steel wool before soldering however, I've been guilty of soldering on partially corroded boards before......haven't we all at some point??  :icon_neutral:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I use a stiff wire brush. The thing is, once a board is part soldered, you have dissimilar metals in conjunction (lead/tin alloy, and copper) and, that means that any tarnishing is going to accelerate.
If you have toddlers, you might think about brushing where you won't put finely divided lead dust everywhere, though..

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jlullo

okay, awesome!  thanks guys!  so just to be clear, the corrosion is normal, and it won't effect anything when i'm done right?

ubersam

So, how does one keep the traces from corrosion, after the board has been finished (populated, soldered)? Lacquer?

lumpymusic

Quote from: ubersam on October 04, 2006, 06:46:06 PM
So, how does one keep the traces from corrosion, after
the board has been finished (populated, soldered)? Lacquer?

Yep. Lacquer. "Candy green" is the traditional color. Regular model
spray paint. If ever it's needed, you can solder through it or remove
it with lacquer remover.

Be bold! Stripe your traces with masking tape. Spray alternating
stripes of orange and purple or whatever color you like.

If you wanted to hide the traces entirely, you could use that
aerosol rubber coating paint designed for tool handles.

Lumpy
In Your Ears for 40 Years
www.lumpymusic.com

ubersam

Very cool... thank you! Lacquer it is! So then, which one has more mojo, acrylic or nitrocellulose  :icon_wink: