and the effect of then together is amazing, but the noise is big
too. The effects are perfect when in use alone. Theres any way
to use the two with low noise?

Thx
Sorry about my bad english
Ronaldo

brett

Hi
Use low-noise chips, such as the NE5534 (single) and NE5532 (dual).
741s and 4558s are very noisey.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

blindsjc

Hi Brett,
Thank you friend,
I'll try it today.

petemoore

Power supplies have the ability to inject noise, test with battery may isolate noise problem to PS.
  Shielding the circuit and having short wires in the conductive grounded box often makes a pretty big difference.
   just finished two neu boxes, a Tube Reamer and a Distortion +
and the effect of then together is amazing, but the noise is big
too. The effects are perfect when in use alone. Theres any way
to use the two with low noise?

Brett's suggestion is good.
  with those two effects in series, the gain is 'double multiplied', also compressed by the clippings, so noise at idle will also be multiplied but not reach a level as to be clipped...hence: noise w/high gain double clipping.
  Turning down the volume on the guitar a touch may reduce some of this noise, also reducing volume here to a slightly lower noise level may not influence the tone much because the gain Is so high.
  Be certain the PS filtering is adequate. Some added LP Filtering on signal path may be considered to reduce high freq noise.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

343 Salty Beans

Here's a thread on power filtering:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=49603.0

brett is definitely right. Another option in his idea is to try is a TL072 low-noise dual opamp, and the TL071 is the single opamp of the TL07x line. The NE553x should help reduce noise, though.

Another thing that can pick up noise is if your circuit isn't shielded and grounded well. Are you using metal boxes? Make sure all your ground points (especially the PCB/vero/perf or whatever your circuit is on) are connected to one central point (the best option is the sleeve of the input and/or output jacks).

If you're STILL getting noise after all that, make sure your wires are neat and routed around and away from any power lines (like the 9v jack) or the opamp chips. My first builds were all noisy because of my poor wiring. Now that I wire neatly, there's a LOT less noise. You can also buy shielded wire and use that for input and output wires.

Best of luck to you, ronaldo.

DEREK

brett

Hi
If it's a hiss/waterfall sound, it'll probably be resistor and transistor noise that requires better chips (can't do much about resistors except always using metal film).
If it's hum and buzz and stuff, work on the grounding, shielding etc.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

blindsjc

Hi again friends,
After using shielded wires (input/output) and changed
to NE5532 the effects are working great. Thank you very
much for all replies. I really love this forum, thanks you.