Egad! My project is smoking...

Started by MikeH, October 05, 2006, 10:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeH

This design worked perfectly on my bread board but when I soldered it all together and plugged it in, there was definitely a burning smell.  Curiosity getting the best of me, I left it plugged in to determine the source, until I noticed smoke and burning embers comming from the volume pot.  Any idea what could have caused this?  It's a modified Tube Reamer. 

Here's the schematic:
http://www.runoffgroove.com/tubereamer.html

And I started with Torchy's vero layout: (It's in the torchy album page 13, under "reamer".  I didn't want to post it here without permission)
http://www.guitartone.net/vero.htm

And here's the layout for my build:

(C6 is 220 nf)

Basically it's the same, but I added a second gain type option, and a resisitor to adjust the output for LED use and a low-pass filter at the end.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

R.G.

Take your DMM and see where you have the +9V supply connected to the volume pot.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

coffyrock

just go with it... rename it the "tube smoker".. :icon_biggrin:
Built so far: ROG Ruby, matching pair of LPB2s, Mr. Clean, Easy Drive,
Next up: Bazz Fuss, ROG Grace Overdrive, Smashdrive.

Alex C

Quote from: R.G. on October 05, 2006, 10:44:56 PM
Take your DMM and see where you have the +9V supply connected to the volume pot.

I would check for a solder bridge between the bottom two tracks on the right side (VOL3 and 9V+).

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

MikeH

I don't see any solder tracks, and unfortunately my DMM took a trip off the kitchen table, so it's not really being cooperative.  I thought the same thing so I removed the pot and ran the power supply through it but nothing happened.

David

Smokin, smokin', volume pot just keep on tokin';
Smokin', smokin', it's burning up and I'm not jokin'.

Apologies to Boston...
I'll get me coat.  :icon_mrgreen:

Psych0F0x

hihi smoking pot.

Still pretty weird, pot that smokes itself.

I was messing around with one of my pedals when it wasn't in a case and suddenly there was a spark and some smoke. The pedal still works but the thing smells..

MikeH

Unfortunately mine doesn't work at all.  Can anyone find any flaws in my layout?  I checked my build and it matches up with the layout.

R.G.

Back to basics. Can you give us a set of voltages as in "Debugging: what to do when it doesn't work", including the voltages on the pots.

That should tell the tale.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MikeH

Yeah, I need to check the voltages everywhere, unfortunately I need to get a new dmm first, I sort of destroyed mine.   :-\

puretube

between pin 4&5 there`s direct connection...
normal? - dunno the schemo -

but: "smoking is hazardous to your chips"

MikeH

That's a good question, the schematic is different from the Torchy layout, which is what I used to do the layout.  Basically it's just connecting pin 5 to the ground, pins 6 and 7 are wired together- however, on my bread board they would have been separated... I didn't think of that.  Eh boy...

MikeH

Ok, I figured it out.... who new sending a full 9v into the center lug of your volume pot would make it smoke and burn up?  Funny thing is, the pot still works!  Crazy...

Peter Snowberg

Glad you got it figured out. 8)

When you send 9V into the wiper of a pot with one side grounded and you set to pot to a low value, it's like placing a little heater across the battery. The pot will still work over most of the rotation, but there will be a little area where the resistor element is charred. That spot will wear over time and will probably make for a scratchy pot.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

R.G.

QuoteOk, I figured it out.... who new sending a full 9v into the center lug of your volume pot would make it smoke and burn up?  Funny thing is, the pot still works!  Crazy...
...tee-hee... I did.

Quote from: R.G.Take your DMM and see where you have the +9V supply connected to the volume pot.

How did I know? Ummm, there is a pile of leftovers from my educational process that have smoke marks on them.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

Harry

Hey that would make a nice... um effect. Build a box with a bunch of trivial components not related to the actual circuit and rig it so it starts overheating them to create lots of smoke and bad smells!  :-X

coffyrock

instead of smashing guitars, just wire up a fake pedal that catches fire when stomped, then rage on it when playing a show!  :icon_twisted:
Built so far: ROG Ruby, matching pair of LPB2s, Mr. Clean, Easy Drive,
Next up: Bazz Fuss, ROG Grace Overdrive, Smashdrive.