trannys and diodes

Started by jlullo, October 05, 2006, 11:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlullo

I'm just about done populating and soldering everything on my 808 clone from tonepad. All i have left are the 2N3904 Transistors, and N914 Diodes.  I've read that they are much easier to fry during soldering then caps and resistors and such, and I was wondering if it would be smart of me to get sockets for at least the trannys.  I'm still new to soldering and not the best at it...

thoughts?

captntasty

I've never had a problem soldering either directly, but yes they are more sensitive to heat.  You can use a heatsink - a small clip on the lead you are soldering placed before the actual device.  The trick is to get in and out quickly.  It's almost universal that trannys will be socketed, but that's more for popping different ones in quickly - but it will guarantee you don't fry your tranny.  The same can be said for diodes.  I'm pretty sure if you check the data sheets of the particular component you will find some figures on how much heat a device can be exposed to and for what duration without any problem... you might be surprised how much they can take.  Given that both components are inexpensive and readily available I'd say go ahead and solder directly if you don't have sockets, just be quick.  Sockets for the future would be a good investment.
Peace
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

jlullo

thanks so much for the info... maybe i'll see if i can pick up some sockets for the transistors then!