Recommended electronic switching with momentary switch?

Started by sfr, October 06, 2006, 09:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

I'm wrapping up my Ultraflanger build. 

I like flangers a lot, but with the settings I usually use, they're an effect best used in moderation, I believe.   To aid in performance, I'd like to set mind up with a momentary switch, so the effect is only engaged when I'm standing on the switch.  Less messy tap-dancing when I want the flange sound just for a ringing chord at the end of a bar. 

On the other hand, I hate to limit myself, and would like to have normal latching switching on this pedal.  But I'd prefer not to have to resort to two footswitches. 

Seems like the way to accomplish what I want would be to use a momentary switch with a small toggle to switch between true-bypass style mechanical switching, or using  the momentary switch to activiate some sort of electronic switching, like a Boss or Ibanez pedal uses.   Or perhaps there's an electronic switching method that can easily be adapted to accommodate both latching and momentary switching?

I know I've seen threads here that could help, but I'm having trouble finding them through the search engine.  I'll have to dig deeper.  I'm about to begin pawing through Geofex, as I'm sure I've seen things there that are relative, and it seems like the best bet. 

But does anyone have any pointers?  Circuits they could recommend?  Besides the operational desires I've mentioned above, my main criteria would be small board size, as I'd like to go with a smaller box, and I'm already going to be cramming quite a bit of stuff in this one. 

I've kind of ignored electronic switching (outside of the Millenium for adding LEDs) simply because mechanical switching has been fine for 90% of what I need.  I'm not well-versed in this subject and can use any help, and direction, that I can get.  Thanks guys!
sent from my orbital space station.

davebungo

Have a look at any of the Boss or Nobles pedal schematics etc.  They all have electronic switching using usually 1 CMOS flip flop and a couple of discrete FETs.  Looks pretty simple and effective.