Digitech Whammy II Mod?

Started by johnnybegoode, October 06, 2006, 11:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnybegoode

Bought a used Digitech Whammy II some years back but did not use it much.
It has this level thing to adjust the vol/mix, just like a mixer.

This thing is really a tone sucker. I'm wondering is there anyone with this equipment or have tried modifying it?

tcobretti

Pretty sure it's digital, so mods are very few or nonexistant.  You could, however, put in true bypass if you took a good look at how it was wired.

dmk

i had one of them. some really cool sounds on it.
but the signal degredation was just chronic. i wish i'd have kept it now. but at the time i didnt know what true bypass was, all i knew was it sucked.
resistance is futile...
...if <1Ω

johnnybegoode

how to true bypass it? how to mod it?

Seljer

modding it would probably be a pain, your best best is to make a small external true-bypass box, leaving the Whammy on all the time

jonathan perez

look up truebypassing a whammy in the search engine. and it should come up. but im not sure if it applies to the whammy2
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

johnnybegoode

Quote from: Seljer on October 06, 2006, 01:01:54 PM
modding it would probably be a pain, your best best is to make a small external true-bypass box, leaving the Whammy on all the time

Think you just reminded me that true bypass would not work for this whammy. It sucks tone even when in use. It is that level knob that cause the problem. Would be a difficult project. ::)

Dave_B

If it's anything like the Whammy 4, it's going to be a pain to get inside.  I like Seljer's suggestion.
Help build our Wiki!

SolderBoy

I was very tempted by the latest wammy last year.  I had my laptop at the shop and I hooked up the midi port - this is very cool!  Instant arpeggiator!  But yeah, I'd have it true bypass ASAP...

SolderBoy

Oops, pressed post accidently.

What I was gonna say was that I've been working on a true b/p for my Akai uni-bass.  This is a digital 8va up pedal.  Turns out that if you permantly connect the two wires from the (momentary) B/P switch the effect is on at powerup and remains on thereafter.  So that means you can put another stomp switch in its place or even use the original switch to drive a relay or something.  (BTW, this is what Akai did on the Deep Impact pedal, so I don't know why they didn't do it with the Uni-bass!?!?)

Maybe you could try a similar aproach with the wammy....