Tempo indicator for PT2399 based delays

Started by Andre, October 06, 2006, 03:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

there are tap-tempo pedals out there, that let you choose what to tap in there: every quarter note, or half, whole, bar...

and then hope, that the drummer stays tight.

btw: can`t see an image in reply #16...

Andre

QuoteBit late to this thread, but well done Andre, clever stuff!

Thanks Gez

QuoteHowever, the chip does not delay long enough to make this work with single repeats. The longest delay is some 300+ milliseconds, around three times per second. That's about the FASTEST I can tap my foot. I'm pretty sure I can't tap it at 34mS per tap.

You sure got a point there R.G.
Still I think I'll give it a try just for the purpose of learning and maybe later use.
I have a bunch of MN3005's. A delay with 4 of those would give a more usable delay range and the
tap tempo circuit could be easily adapted for other clock frequency's.

I have little programming skills, so here's a good time to learn some C.
The suggestions you did in your first replies will come in handy.
But for now the idea of making a software PLL dazzle me.

Maybe first thing to do is a software version of the circuit I started this thread with, and put it in an 8 pin
PIC or AVR. That would make a small 2 part tempo indicator.

Anyway, thanks very much R.G..

Quotethere are tap-tempo pedals out there, that let you choose what to tap in there: every quarter note, or half, whole, bar...

Am I correct in thinking that in that case you tap the whole to set the tempo and then choose the interval ?

Quotebtw: can`t see an image in reply #16...

Here is the url of the picture : http://andre.timbolino.nl/pt2399taptempoblock.jpg
Can you check if if works ?

puretube

I think: first you choose the interval,
then tap.
(gotta read s.th. by "Cusack" (g**gle or HC) . )

still can`t see pic, here.

Andre

You should be able to see it now

I found some ZVEX stuff with tap tempo mod by Cusack.
Need to look for more details.

puretube

the "properties" of the image says: "size: 28x30 pixels";
it still gives me a "red cross";
"show image" doesn`t help;
copy&paste into new window doesn`t work, too...

gez

Ton, it works for me using Opera but not Internet Explorer.  Might be your browser.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Andre

puretube

hey: now it shows!
(yes, I`ve done a couple of refreshs since 11:00 a.m.)

(and it shows both pics now - with both URLs)

:icon_eek:

BTW: don`t forget to de-bounce your tap-switch!

dream_noir

Going all the way back to the original design for the tempo indicator, I have a few quick questions. Can I use any old NPN transistor for it? Also, R5 is the current limiting resistor for the LED, right? Is it such a low value to get a good blink? And should I use something slightly higher for a blue LED? And uhh, how common is the 74HCT4040 and are they any substitutes? Thanks.

Andre

I think any low power NPN will do.
I used a blue led and had to go as low as 100 ohm to get a usable brightness.
Tonight I will do some experimenting with the pulse shaper to get a nice bright short flashing LED
and let you know the results.

The 74HCT4040 is available from several brands and is a rather common IC.
Although I have not tried I think you can also use 74HC4040.
CD4040 or HEF4040 won't work since they can not handle the highest Fclock from the PT2399. (22MHz)

StephenGiles

Whilst I admire the technical expertise being offered here, and I mean that most sincerely, what's wrong with just hitting the strings and hearing the amount of delay. or am I missing the point completely??
Misso el pointerio completamente??
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Andre

Although I don't even use a delay on gigs, I can image some people wish to set the delay time while muted.
For me,since I read in several threads it was hard to do Tempo Indication or even harder to do  Tap Tempo, it's a challenge to
get it to work.

Besides that I think it just looks nice.
If you add tempo LED's to all your LFO driven FX too, your pedalboard looks very sophisticated.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on October 09, 2006, 09:01:47 PM
Quote from: RaceDriver205 on October 09, 2006, 07:42:22 AM
QuoteThe diodes together with the 10k resistor form a discrete logical AND gate.
Now that is some tricky sh#t! Gee, you think you've seen everything but theres always something.
Ive never seen that technique used anywhere ever, and ive had to study a lot of digital electronics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode-transistor_logic is pretty useful, if you just need a fragment of logic for a FX box. Naturally, a current course isn't going to teach you how one did it back in the 1950s & 60s.....

In my analog/digital circuit design class, we learned Diode logic first, then TTL, then gate-based logic :)  It's still being taught.

An LED is MUCH easier with a PT2395.  You can just buffer/filter one of the addressing signals. 

For the clock, using a vactrol just seems a little crazy to me.  The 2395 has an external clock in... Development for complex delay applications should be with the 2395 IMO.  That said, I would be hesistant to develop with the 2395 because of the RAM limitations.

-Colin

Andre

QuoteFor the clock, using a vactrol just seems a little crazy to me.

Vactrol was the first thing that came to mind when I drew up the block diagram.
As R.G. already said, it could probably be done with a jfet too.
I already found some schematic in which a NPN transistor is used to control the clock.

QuoteDevelopment for complex delay applications should be with the 2395 IMO

I try to keep this design as universal as possible, so it can be used with several delay circuits.

BTW I have a PIC version of the tempo indicator ready and working, but I guess it's better to start a new thread in the
Digital & DSP Section about this one.

André

taylorchuck15

So, have we figured out the tap tempo subject. I like the fact of having an indicator to tell how much delay you have, but I would also like to tap it in too. I don't know a ton about digital effects and what not, but I can some what follow along. It kind of makes sense, but I don't know if anybody figured it out yet.
Built: LPB1, A/B Box
Building: Fooldrive 2, Brian May Booster

runmikeyrun

would the diodes HAVE to be n4148?  I have 12 N4001s lying around.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Andre

No, any Si diode wil do, so 1N4001 is OK

André

Timebutt

Is there really no substition for the 74HCT4040 IC? Banzaieffects.com doesn't seem to have them in stock and I don't think my local electronics shop will have it available :/
Maybe there is in fact a substition that would make my life much easier? :)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

Andre

I guess 74hc4040 will work, but I think banzai won't have those neither.
Referring to our PM's: if you want me to make you PCB's for the Rebote and tempoindicator, I can also send you the 4040's.

I am leaving for holiday now, so this al has to wait for 2 weeks.

André

Timebutt

You would do me a great favor by doing that!
When you're back, could you send me a PM concerning all the details and such?
I'll be waiting for your return, parts are coming in next week or so :)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90