chanel switcher

Started by stompin86, October 08, 2006, 10:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stompin86

hi all!
im new here.

i was looking for a way to build a chanel switcher that has a balanced TRS tip-ring-sleeve kind thing on the net and i just stumbled on this amazing website just for pedals.  been reading the topics here for a while now. some hours ago to be honest, and i cant help myself to find a thread on chanel switcher box.

can someone help me?
thanks

amp is laney vc-30 & peavey bravo 112

boogietube

Welcome!
It would be helpful to know what you're trying to do. Do you want to switch amp channels ? Just that ? Or amp channels and reverb?  Or do you want to switch between two amps? Or between two amps or both?

Sean
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

stompin86

hi ..thanks for answering,

well basicly what i had in mind was just to have a copy of a laney switcher for the chanel switching and for reverb ( coz i felt offended the manufacturer dont provide a switch for such wonderful amp), but since you said every switching possibilities, might aswell add them to my question..
so ya... if possible all of above u mentioned,,

thanks

stompin86

altho. its just the channel switch i mostly wanted tho..dont need the others. but if there is help for the other switcher too would be greatly appreciated.

thannks

boogietube

If you're into DIY and don't care about the cost too much, then you can build a nice switch. I'd really reccommend buying a footswitch for your amp off of ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/FOOTSWITCH-FOOT-SWITCH-FITS-MARSHALL-1-4-DOUBLE-BUTTON_W0QQitemZ220034075162QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The parts will be more expensive than just buying one.
But, the cost for the other two options is lower. The diy is great though.
Here's an A/B box from fulltone:
http://www.fulltone.com/qaframe.html

Here's an A/B or Y (both) box:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=102

Recommended reading:
FAQ AND wiki on this site
www.geofex.com
www.generalguitargadgets.com
www.tonepad.com
All have beginner info and FAQ and loads of info.
Have fun!
Sean

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.

stompin86

thanks for the info .

man lots assignments to do...better get starting..

cheers

stompin86

altho there is one more thing i have in mind.

doesnt a channel switcher works like to short a connection so that the other connects??

what if i plug a TRS plug that has cables soldered to it then just short the hot wire from the TIP to the ground/SLEAVE conection..
can i do this? will i get electrocuted?

thanks

stompin86

soory.. i forgot to mention..

by shorting i meant by connecting the wire from the sleave to TIP with my fingers.

and also. since i  dont usually turn on/off the reverb, just leave it always on, can i just use a regular guitar cord with the mono plug instead of a stereo plug?

boogietube

Yes you could use a mono plug, but there's 3 connections on a trs. And you dont really know which one is used for your amp channel. Both switches would share ground. 2 spdt switches and a trs jack and you've got it (both reverb and channel selection) I would recommend just using a trs jack and some wire and seeing which of the three switches your amp channel, then you could use one spdt switch and wire it up.(channel switching)

stompin86

ok thanks..

yeah im preetyy sure which ones switches the channel and the reverb.

the TIP is for the channel and the RING is for the reverb.. thats  what it says on the manual and at he back of the amp..

but im kinnda worried tho...ya sure im not gonna get electrocuted by doing the this, touching the wires to hold in place for connection?

thanks.

so exited..basicly my first into electronics wiring

tihi

stompin86

ok ..
so iv just found out (couldnt wait) that i cant be electrified by doin so...  whew!! ;D

anyway..

so iv found out that i was wrong bout the peavey having the channel on the TIP, instead its on the RING part of the trs plug. iv also found out that if i do put the "virtaul" switch in then the reverb goes out and connat be controlled from the front panel same goes fro the switching channels)...coz its been shorted in the circuit and can only turn on IF i short the RING to sleave part of the trs plug.. meaning , if i want the reverb on i need to have TRS after all wich leads me to my next question.

1. im getting  TRS plug and two SPDT right??

2. what about the cable? what cable should i get then, a cable that has two leads or three leads?

3. where should i connect the leads on the SPDT switches? :-\

thanks

boogietube

Like I said,  it will be way more expensive to build one.

But if you want to, it depends on if you want to switch the reverb.

If you want to switch just your channel, then you need: one 2 conductor wire, one trs 1/4" plug, one female mono jack,one spdt switch,  and a box to put it in.

If you want to switch both channel and reverb , you need: one three conductor wire, one trs plug, one female stereo jack, two spdt switches, and a box to put it in.

Cheers!

boogietube

Make that three conductor wire for both options.