The Simplest Pedal EVER!!

Started by PNG123, October 10, 2006, 01:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNG123

What about a small internal competition (with no prize),
To find the most simple pedal one could build ,in terms of schematic, parts, wiring etc...
What do you think?

KerryF

Or that can be just a subject in the FX-X Contest.  But right now there is a contest for pedal with only 1 rotary control which I think is a easy topic.

PNG123

But the Fx-X competiton you must Build the FX pedal,
I am suggesting to find the simplest Working schematic :)

bancika

nothing can beat passive volume pedal... :icon_wink:
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Seljer

A wire going directly from the input jack to the output jack  :D (well its usefull if you don't have one of those female-female 1/4" adaptors and need to get farther away from your amp)

Otherwise, for something thats powered, the simple buffers, boosters and fuzzes are problably the simplest schematics for guitar effects you can find:
the LBP2 boost http://www.muzique.com/schem/lpb1.gif
the Bazz Fuzz http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html
buffers: http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm
Fetzer valve booster thingy: http://runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Nasse

Black Ice Distortion/Fuzz/Od. If you leave the footstompswitch out and build it inside your guitar it is very simple.
  • SUPPORTER

KerryF

Do you have the schematic for the Black Ice?  Can you post it or PM it to me.  Just interested.  ;)

JimRayden

Quote from: PNG123 on October 10, 2006, 01:50:54 PM
To find the most simple pedal one could build ,in terms of schematic, parts, wiring etc...
What do you think?

Well, the first thing to do is to define "pedal". Does it have to have a bypass switch? Any controls at all? Does it have to have an input? Does it even have to have an enclosure?

As to the simplest electronic schematic, you can draw a piece of wire with the thickness of one pixel and a length of one pixel. If we'd like to bring this to the context of guitar pedals, you can cut a piece of wire the length of one molecul, throw it in a B-sized box, put it on your pedalboard and stomp away!

Even further, a pedal called "Electron-in-a-box" would be pretty useful to have around too.

---------
Jimbo

Seljer

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on October 10, 2006, 02:13:01 PM
Do you have the schematic for the Black Ice?  Can you post it or PM it to me.  Just interested.  ;)
its 2 low voltage schottky diodes wired in parallel, in opposite directions, going to ground (basically a hard diode clipping arangement). The forward voltage on them is much smaller and an unamplified guitar signal can allready be clipped.
Wire a pot in series with the 2 diodes to control the amount of clipping (basically, just replace the capacitor in your guitars tone control with the 2 diodes)

KerryF

Would this work to switch between Black Ice and Tone Control?

One side is Black Ice, and the other is Tone Control.

Mark Hammer

I think E-H holds that record.  They had a "pedal" in the early 80's that was simply a box and 4 jacks, with NO additional components beyond that.

gez

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 10, 2006, 04:30:13 PM
I think E-H holds that record.  They had a "pedal" in the early 80's that was simply a box and 4 jacks, with NO additional components beyond that.

I had that Mark!  I think it was called the Junction Box, or something.  I wonder what happened to it?  Some things are like socks, they just vanish...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

gez

That's the one Ton!  My brother and I used it to plug two guitars into a tiny amp he had.  We ended up controlling each other's volume and tone, which was a pain.  It was cheap though!  :icon_lol:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

I`ll suggest it to E-H for a re-issue...  :icon_mrgreen:

anyone got a schemo to modify and redraw?  :icon_lol:
layout?

got a new name for it: the "Colateral Damage" ( :icon_redface:)

PNG123

Quote from: JimRayden on October 10, 2006, 02:18:03 PM
Quote from: PNG123 on October 10, 2006, 01:50:54 PM
What do you think?

Well, the first thing to do is to define "pedal". Does it have to have a bypass switch? Any controls at all? Does it have to have an input? Does it even have to have an enclosure?

As to the simplest electronic schematic, you can draw a piece of wire with the thickness of one pixel and a length of one pixel. If we'd like to bring this to the context of guitar pedals, you can cut a piece of wire the length of one molecul, throw it in a B-sized box, put it on your pedalboard and stomp away!

Even further, a pedal called "Electron-in-a-box" would be pretty useful to have around too.

---------
Jimbo

Ok to be more specific -> An external box which modifies the volume level or sound (including tone) of your guitar. Switch or not is not a real issuei guess as that can be added to any efect

PNG123

Quote from: bancika on October 10, 2006, 01:58:53 PM
nothing can beat passive volume pedal... :icon_wink:

Have You gott a link to a good yet simple (don't want to spend too much), for a Volume Boost Pedal ?Please

JimRayden

Quote from: PNG123 on October 10, 2006, 05:28:07 PM
Ok to be more specific -> An external box which modifies the volume level or sound (including tone) of your guitar. Switch or not is not a real issuei guess as that can be added to any efect

Well in this case either a pot-in-a-box or the Black Ice.

The black Ice, as much as I've played around with it, is a great thing. With some hot humbuckers it can really rock out. Be warned that it will reduce the output of your guitar though.

-----------
Jimbo

RLBJR65

Try the beginer project. It's a simple booster. Layout and everything is in here.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=6.0
Richard Boop