Testing transistors II

Started by Chuck, October 10, 2006, 04:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this, but I recently purchased a Atlas DCA - Semiconductor Analyser.

This is the coolest thing.  Works great.  Using the RG mthod and this method gets the same results.

The Atlas DCA - Semiconductor Analyser just makes it super easy.  Attach the clips, bush the button.  It even tells you the pinouts.

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_dca55.html

Moonface

Yep. I have that and got the same results too. Phoking expensive tho...  :icon_evil:

aron

I don't think this works for Ge transistors and for FETs - maybe I am wrong.

Moonface

aron

Have you verified accuracy with Ge transistors? What does it show for JFETs?

Aron

Moonface

It shows exactly same results with RG tester when using germ trannies. For Jfets it doesn't usually detect which is drain or source. It recognises Mosfets tho.

aron

QuoteIt shows exactly same results with RG tester when using germ trannies.

hmmm.... I guess what I should have asked is does it only show hFE or does it show leakage as well? For me, leakage is almost more important than hFE. Well about equal.

Sounds like a cool and useful unit.

Moonface

Quote from: aron on October 11, 2006, 05:35:31 AM
QuoteIt shows exactly same results with RG tester when using germ trannies.

hmmm.... I guess what I should have asked is does it only show hFE or does it show leakage as well? For me, leakage is almost more important than hFE. Well about equal.

Sounds like a cool and useful unit.

It shows leakage and gain.

Moonface

Hmm. Lets see. Tested an OC76 with it.
Says:

PNP Germanium Transistor

RED   GREEN   BLUE
Emit   Coll       Base

Current gain Hfe=136

Test current Ic=2.50mA

Base-Emitter V Vbe=0.30V

Test current Ib=5.02mA

Leakage current Ic=0.23mA

Dat's it. ::)

Moonface

R.G.

If you can find a Sencor "Cricket" transistor analyzer on ebay or in a closing repair shop, that does the same thing as well. Mine cost $35 on ebay.

Old tech, but it does the same thing analog-ly.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Stompin Tom

A little google search turned up this kit... seems to do the same thing. You'll have to put it together, but it's about a third the cost of the atlas. I'm not sure if I need it, but it really does seem pretty cool.

http://www.m3electronix.com/sa.html

alderbody

Quote from: Stompin Tom on October 11, 2006, 09:22:29 AM
A little google search turned up this kit... seems to do the same thing. You'll have to put it together, but it's about a third the cost of the atlas. I'm not sure if I need it, but it really does seem pretty cool.

That's a nice gadget, too!

and it's kinda DIY...  ;)

Chuck

Yeah, I know its expensive.
But at the rate I've been getting ge trannies, its worth it.
Plus without having datasheets on some of these, the pinouts is great.
Chuck