Small Clone mod

Started by Rattlehead, October 13, 2006, 04:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rattlehead

hey, i want my Small Clone to have more treble / less bass response.
I saw on the wiki page how to decrease the bass in distortion boxes, but it's not the case here. what should I tweak to get a different tone?

tnx

jeroen_verbeeck

You can tweak the input capacitor, make it smaller to let through less bass.

Mark Hammer

The heladito project over at Tonepad shows how to modify the Small Clone circuit for less bas on the wet/delay side.  That mod helps to make the effect subtler and also decreases the amount of audible "wobble".  Of course, it can also decrease the apparent amplitude of the wet signal. 

One way to counterbalance that is to decrease the value of the wet-side mixing resistor.  This is normally 20k.  You can drop it down to 18k.

A second approach, which is less recommended is to lift or alter the de-emphasis network in the output.  The Small Clone, like a great many pedals uses a "poor man's Dolby" to control noise.  It boosts the treble at the input stage, and de-emphasizes the treble by the same amount at the output.  The 6k8/.01uf network on the input and output stages form that symmetrical pre-emphasis/de-emphasis network.  Lifting one end of either the .01uf or 6k8 component on the output stage will disable the de-emphasis and allow the initial treble boost to be heard.  This will, unfortunately, permit any noise accumulated through the delay path to be more audible, which is why it is not recommended.  What you *could* consider, though, is compromising and making the de-emphasis less severe by cutting that .01uf cap in the feedback of the output stage to a smaller value (e.g., .0047uf) and raising the frequency where the de-emphasis starts.

Rattlehead

one more question:
My small clone input capacitor is 333J
Is one of the following small than the 333J?
BC102J
2A243J
2A103J
2A822J
2A273J

tnx =)

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Rattlehead on October 18, 2006, 07:28:44 PM
one more question:
My small clone input capacitor is 333J = .033uf / 33nf / 33000pf
Is one of the following small than the 333J?
BC102J  = .001uf / 1nf / 1000pf
2A243J = .024uf / 24nf / 24000pf
2A103J = .01uf / 10nf / 10000pf
2A822J = 8200pf / 8n2 / 8200pf
2A273J = .027uf / 27nf / 27000pf

tnx =)

dubs

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 16, 2006, 04:20:36 PM
The heladito project over at Tonepad shows how to modify the Small Clone circuit for less bas on the wet/delay side.  That mod helps to make the effect subtler and also decreases the amount of audible "wobble".  Of course, it can also decrease the apparent amplitude of the wet signal. 

One way to counterbalance that is to decrease the value of the wet-side mixing resistor.  This is normally 20k.  You can drop it down to 18k.

A second approach, which is less recommended is to lift or alter the de-emphasis network in the output.  The Small Clone, like a great many pedals uses a "poor man's Dolby" to control noise.  It boosts the treble at the input stage, and de-emphasizes the treble by the same amount at the output.  The 6k8/.01uf network on the input and output stages form that symmetrical pre-emphasis/de-emphasis network.  Lifting one end of either the .01uf or 6k8 component on the output stage will disable the de-emphasis and allow the initial treble boost to be heard.  This will, unfortunately, permit any noise accumulated through the delay path to be more audible, which is why it is not recommended.  What you *could* consider, though, is compromising and making the de-emphasis less severe by cutting that .01uf cap in the feedback of the output stage to a smaller value (e.g., .0047uf) and raising the frequency where the de-emphasis starts.

Sorry to drag this up, but with the clone chorus I built I actually find it more trebly than bypassed signal. I would like to get more warmth and bass in the chorus effect, so essentially I could do the reverse of what is stated here?

Mark Hammer

Just for the hell of it, disable the pre-emphasis (the 6k8/.01uf nework on the input) and leave the de-emphasis intact.  That should provide some "warmth", and probably improve your noise specs a wee bit too.....maybe too much, but we'll let the evidence tell the story. :icon_wink: