Fuzz with gating break up

Started by markphaser, October 13, 2006, 07:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markphaser

I have a fuzz pedal but i'm trying to hook up a gate section either in series or in parallel to try to make it break up more i have seen fuzz pedals plus gating i forgot the names of them do u guys know which ones im talking about? and what kind of gating section/stage is it so its breaks up more not just on/off gating but the inbetween gating?

britt-stinker

Isn't that normally seen in octave down pedals?

Meanderthal

Hmmm, the gating in between? Do you mean a misbiased transistor? That can be kind of gatey... A kind of strangled splatty farty sound? Maybe you can use a pot for bias instead of a resistor? A schematic would help us help you... or at least some idea what kind of fuzz you've got.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

markphaser

u can make the gating interfacing with the fuzz to make it sound like its unbalanced transitors and breaking up alot

tungngruv

Make the bias pot external so you can put the fuzz right on the edge. Also, Joe Gagan put's a 50k pot (5k and 10k will also work) between the battery and the ring connection of the input jack to get a dying battery sound. Both of these will achieve a gating sound.

markphaser

bias pot external so you can put the fuzz
Which resistor the base resistors? the emitter resistors? the collector resistor? they are all biasing resistors

Is there a Gate circuit that uses a LDR or optical light variable resistors?

I like that intermitten sound like when u have your jack nuts not tight on your guitar or pedal and its cutting in and out of ground i think placing a gate circuit to ground will make it give that intermitten sound

tungngruv

QuoteWhich resistor the base resistors? the emitter resistors? the collector resistor? they are all biasing resistors

10k external pot off the collecter of Q2

markphaser

replace the collector resistor with a 10K pot or put a pot in parallel with the collector resistor?

tungngruv

markphaser

but how do i gate the fuzz unit so the gate is like intermitting off and on but not choppy off and on thats a tremolo more like a dying battery gatting sound

brett

Hi
the dying battery sound can be achieved with 3 or 4 diodes in series with the power supply (each one reduces the voltage out by 0.7 volts).  For example, 9V battery plus 4 diodes = 9 - 4 x 0.7 = 6.2 V (that's a bad battery!).  Also add some resistance.  About 470 ohms will usually help.  Maybe 1k.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

KerryF

Theres a diode gate:  ;)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/G_knott/elect213.htm

But can someone tell me where the in, out, +, and grnd are?  It looks like 2 in's, 2 out's, and then the top polarized resistor is +, and the bottom is ??

slacker

the signal in and outs are the lines that go through the diodes. Ground is the bottom of  R2 and R3 and + is the top of R1. The pulse to control the gate comes through the capacitor.
For an easier to understand version check out my slacktrem or the schematic Nasse posted in this thread http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=48507.0

Gus

Have you ever looked at 3 tran or rocket or other FF type.  Look close

petemoore

Which resistor the *base resistors? the *emitter resistors? the *collector resistor?
  These resistors are designated by *what they are connected to.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markphaser

What does putting less voltage bad battery sound for the fuzz circuit create a gating effects that breaking up sound?

Most fuzzes are +9 volts or -9 volts for the transistor to turn on for operation but if u put 6.0 volts or less it starts to break up into a gating sound but why?

How can i "control" the dying battery bad battery break up with my pickup dynamics?

markphaser

To adjust the "attack" time and "decay" times of the fuzz? where can i put the variable trim pots to adjust the attack time and decay time of a fuzz face? and to control the break up dying battery sound with my picking dynamics

A phase lock loop is a feedback loop with a comparator IC comparing the input signal with the feedback signals frequency? to get more oscillations out of a fuzz face for longer decay or sustain out of a fuzz face?

The attack time would be some kind of RC rise time or slew rate in the germanium transistor stage so u can adjust the attack time of the fuzz face

There is different rise time and fall time curves for every fuzz face jimi hendrix specialized in these very much Mark Hammer and R.G can explain more about the rise time attack time and fall time decay time from a fuzz face circuit and how to adjust them