Stepped bits on sale

Started by amz-fx, October 14, 2006, 09:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

Stepped drill bits are on sale at Harbor Freight...  3 of them for $9.99!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91616

You can drill a lot of holes for $3.33 per bit! :)

regards, Jack

R.G.

HF also has DMMs on sale at $3 -$5 very frequently. I get these on sale and use them as indicators on the bench. Precision isn't great, but then most of the time you don't need it. Having more than one meter is very useful at times.

Right now, item 92020 is selling for $4. Here's the sales blurb:

Quote7 FUNCTION, 19 RANGE DIGITAL MULTIMETER

* Functions: AC and DC voltage, AC and DC resistance, DC amperage, battery test, diode test
    * Fused circuit with diode protection
    * Low battery indicator
    * LCD readout with backlight
    * High-impact construction
    * 24'' leads with banana plugs
    * Push-button on/off switch with auto-off
    * 750 VAC or 1000 VDC max. input
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

DryRoasted

If one of our US friends could get one for me, cos I live in the UK and the cheapest I've seen them for are stupid prices, I'd be real grateful.  Or even if someone wanted to split a pack of em.
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

ildar

I live 10 minutes from a Harbor Freight. I'd be happy to purchase and ship items. Don't know how cost effective it would be to ship from the US to the UK, though.

Dave_B

Quote from: amz-fx on October 14, 2006, 09:29:25 AM
Stepped drill bits are on sale at Harbor Freight...  3 of them for $9.99!
I bought them for $16, I think, so that's a very good deal.  FWIW, they work great on stompboxes.  So far I haven't regretted buying them over the more expensive Irwin's.  I may have to get one of those $4 meters, since HF is near me also. 

Thanks for the pointers, guys!
Help build our Wiki!

amz-fx

Quote from: R.G. on October 14, 2006, 10:03:40 AM
HF also has DMMs on sale at $3 -$5 very frequently. I get these on sale and use them as indicators on the bench. Precision isn't great, but then most of the time you don't need it. Having more than one meter is very useful at times.

Not long ago they had them for $2 each and I bought 3 just to keep around for simple stuff...  I also use them to loan out when someone (who knows I build electronics) will call and try to borrow a meter... :)  Better than giving them the Fluke!  :icon_mrgreen:

regards, Jack

ildar

Are these the same quality as a Unibit or Varibit? Probably not, I'm guessing, but they may still be worth it at such a low price.

R.G.

They have the same function at 1/3 the price. I have used a set of them for about 2 years now, doing all of my controls drilling on them. I figure that I can tear them up three times before I spend the same money as one unibit.

By the way, Harbor Freight almost always has a bench drill press on sale for about $40. For that price you get a tool that won't break your drill bits when you drill.

Is it the same quality as a Sears Craftsman bench drill press?

Well, it's not the same quality as Sears drill presses used to be, but it's pretty close to what they are now...  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

For those of you who have not yet figured it out, I'm a tool maniac.

When you die, the one with the most tools wins.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

amz-fx

Quote from: R.G. on October 14, 2006, 07:24:24 PM
By the way, Harbor Freight almost always has a bench drill press on sale for about $40. For that price you get a tool that won't break your drill bits when you drill.

I have that drill press...  the only problem I see with it is that there is a bit of play in the bearing of the chuck...  not much but just enough to let a drill bit wander on very small diameter holes.

regards, Jack

R.G.

I'm guessing that it is better than free-handing, though.  :)

I tried out four of them in the store to get one with no perceptible shake when I hauled its chuck back and forth with the quill extended. It was under .007 by dial indicator when I got it home.

The local HF store manager knows me and appreciates my business.  ;D
R.G.

pyrop

Quote from: R.G. on October 14, 2006, 07:26:24 PM
When you die, the one with the most tools wins.  :icon_biggrin:
I agree.
You can't have enough tools.
The more the merrier.

pyrop ;D

burnt fingers

* Functions: AC and DC voltage, AC and DC resistance, DC amperage, battery test, diode test
    * Low battery indicator

I just picked one up today, unfortunately it didn't occur to me that at $3.99 I should probably grab a couple.  I think I'm as dumb as my wife says I am.  I was bummed that I couldn't find the stepped bits.  They didn't have any in stock and it was a madhouse in there today.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

aron

I'm glad I read this! I saw "titanium stepped bits" at the local flea market. I was just going to ask how much, but backed off. Now I can just order these. ;D

RedHouse

Quote from: burnt fingers on October 14, 2006, 11:56:56 PM

* Low battery indicator

I just picked one up today, unfortunately it didn't occur to me that at $3.99 I should probably grab a couple.  I think I'm as dumb as my wife says I am.  I was bummed that I couldn't find the stepped bits.  They didn't have any in stock and it was a madhouse in there today.

Scott

Yeah I was in the one in Tukwila (WA) today, not a parking space to be had, I asked the store clerk where they were (the 3 bit pack) and he didn't know. I found them a little while later under a table for $12.99, I gues the $9.99 is an internet sale price, but still, I bought a pack anyway.  Was temped to stop at the Boeing Surplus store while I was down there (it's just a mile away).

R.G.

All Harbor Freight stores will match their internet flier price if you print the internet price ad and bring it with you.

www.harborfreight.com is the internet sales section. www.harborfreightusa.com is the stores. Both web sites have the current sales fliers posted.
R.G.