Thanks to many for my second build- Flipster!! Pics!

Started by boogietube, October 15, 2006, 07:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogietube

Thanks to many people and their advice on this site!!
I built the flipster from ROG for my bass player. It nails the Space Truckin' tone and is versatile as a clean preamp as well. I called it the BassDrive.
I used J201's for Q1,2,3 , but used an MPF102 for Q4(as recommended here).Biased to 4.5 Volts. I recommend using 25 turn trimmer pots (someone posted this)  It makes biasing easy. The pics don't really do the t-shirt transfer justice. (I read many postings to do this) There is a bit of wiring that I'm going to clean up , but it fired up right away.
Here's some pics:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/boogietube/IMG_1934.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/boogietube/IMG_1941_2.jpg

Thanks to all!!
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

MartyMart

Neat work inside and out !
I've built a ton of stuff and still get "rats nests" and paint "blobs' !!  :icon_redface:
.......patience is a virtue that I dont have a lot of !!

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

boogietube

Thanks for the comments guys!
Yeah MartyMart- I re-painted this one four times to get it blobless. I think I will start buying powdercoated enclosures from SmallBear or maybe get it all done at this other site:

http://www.kustompowder.net/_mgxroot/page_10726.html

After all of that re-finishing 15-20$ for a drilled, labelled ,and powder coated box seems like a deal to me!!

Thanks!
Sean
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.

Alex C

Quote from: boogietube on October 15, 2006, 07:43:42 PM
I built the flipster from ROG for my bass player. It nails the Space Truckin' tone and is versatile as a clean preamp as well.
I don't believe you; I'll need some soundclips as proof. :)

Nice pics, though; it looks great, and I love gut shots!
-Alex

zjokka

really great job, especially on the enclosure.

a lot of reading on the forum helps, and for the flipster there's al lot you better take into account that's not really on the ROG, like the different Q4 fet and the trimpots. Biasing this baby may be a pain.

I biased mine ok (not perfect) and loved it. Returned to it some days later to box it up, and the bias was all off. After much fiddling the trimpots didn't trim anymore, just sat between 8.3 - 9V however much I turned and trimmed. Will return to this one unless an Ampeg falls from the sky...

congrats on yur build!

Paul Marossy

Meanderthal

So it nails the ampeg grind? I'm really gonna hafta build this some day, my real ampeg's just too much of a pain in the ass to use!
I am not responsible for your imagination.

boogietube

Yes it does ! But so much more. Could be used as a clean boost for bass , and it nails the crazy distorted keyboard intro from Space Truckin'  (I had previously thought that this was bass until I was corrected tonight) :icon_redface:

It has a very cool character at lower gain settings too.
I'm hoping to post some clips. Stay tuned.