sorry, a stupid question, but can't find the answer

Started by bent, October 16, 2006, 12:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bent

i have a meter, but i never use it to know the amperage of a circuit ( in fact, when i try it , i blow the fuse inside the meter)

so how do i use a meter to know the amperage of a circuit,
exemple: i have a big muff circuit and i want to know the maximum amperage it's going to consume, where do i put the meter...

thank you for your help...

bent
Long live the music.....

Seljer

you take your 9V battery and put only one of the terminals on the battery snap, you then use your meter set in current mode, to connect the other terminal of the battery to the other terminal of the battery snap

to measure current you have to measure the current thats going through something (set up the meter in series with it). If you just hooked up each probe of the meter to each terminal of the battery then you were effectively shorting out the battery, hence the fuse blowing

aron

Seljer is correct. You need to put the meter in series with the power supply. Also, make sure you set your meter correctly for the range of amperage. Start with a large value and work down. If you set it so it can handle 1amp that will be more than enough to start with.

bent

many many many thank's to both of you,

i'm sorry for the stupid question, but i was really stuck.....

bent
Long live the music.....

aron

It's not a stupid question. It was a good one. Good with your projects!