To those who have built Neovibes. Is your Vibrato mode volume louder?

Started by SteveB, October 16, 2006, 02:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

I built mine 1996, did the resistor fiddling to get the unity gain up & I had to have the volume cranked, but it was basically the same volume as the bypassed signal. In the vibrato mode, it was always much louder, & cutting the volume down to 12 o'clock made things even compared to the bypassed signal. I thought, "That's the way it is",  & pretty much left it like that all these years.

I recently borrowed a friend's Deja Vibe to compare, & noticed that there was a bit more volume, but more importantly, the chorus & vibrato modes were both the same volume. I don't see an added transistor that would possibly be  a buffer, & not much else that looks out of the ordinary. I haven't traced it, but there may be a mismatch on the mixer resistors, with one being a 150k. I'm not positive since the layout is a bit different than mine.

I know changing the mix resistors will change the amount of phase cancellation, but could it also change the volume of the vibrato side?

Thanks,
Steve

R.G.

There is a separate pair of resistors which divide down the volume in "vibrato only" mode. They're just before the mode switch. You can set them to lower the Vibrato volume a bit if you like.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

SteveB

Quote from: R.G. on October 16, 2006, 03:41:22 PM
There is a separate pair of resistors which divide down the volume in "vibrato only" mode. They're just before the mode switch. You can set them to lower the Vibrato volume a bit if you like.

Thanks R.G.!

Would I possibly have to adjust the mix resistors to compensate for the resistor changes you mentioned?

Steve

R.G.

Could happen, I guess. I wouldn't think so.

Do this: get the vibrato mode to the right loudness, then readjust the mix. There may be a little interaction, but the mix will interact with the vib loudness less than the vib loudness does the mix, I think.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.