Melanhead Headcase

Started by coxter, October 18, 2006, 09:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxter

I've heard that it sounds pretty good. and decided to build it.

But upon checking the vero and the schematic, I discovered a few mistakes.

I think R3 and C4 should switch places and C11 should be extended one more hole on each side to connect with C8 and ground.
as defined by my red rectangular box.

I'm just a noob, not sure if my discovery is right or wrong, can someone plz verify ?

wampcat1

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/melanhead/HeadCase?full=1

R3 and C4 orientation isn't important, that can be either way.

I think you are right on c11 though - should be in parallel with D1.

bw

Izzy

:D

I know bob melanson.  You should check out his soundclick page.

Melanhead

Yup ... You're right! ( on C11, R3 and C4 order doesn't matter ) ... damn I hate when I forget to fix things! ... Although it should work as is, it may squeal on high gain settings. I'll have to check mine out, I may have noticed it when I built it and forgot to update or it just works as is and C11 may not be needed as it's parrele value probably won't affect C3 to much ... makes it .00125 instead of .001 ...

I'll check mine and report back ...

Thanks for bringing it up! ...

I know there were a few built here from that layout and I can't think of any problems with them ...

Melanhead

Quote from: Izzy on October 18, 2006, 11:41:14 PM
:D

I know bob melanson.  You should check out his soundclick page.

Cool ...and thanks! ... how well do you know me ?? ;)

Izzy

Is this bob?

Do you remember me? Ishu ?  ;D

coxter

Oh okay great! Thanx for the response!

I'm just pretty much sick of all my other failed attempts at building a pedal, thats why i'm checking everything out first.

Oh btw, I tried out your(melanhead) DS-1 mod. Its wicked sick! A lil too heavy on the low end, but its still much much better than a keeley or a stock one.

wampcat1

It should be a fairly simple build -- if it doubt, build an audio probe first and that way you can always use it to debug your builds! :)

bw

coxter

Don't mind me asking... But whats an audio probe... uh as the the name suggest it probes for audio... LOL

But how is it useful to me when building pedals ?

Melanhead

Quote from: Izzy on October 19, 2006, 11:23:17 AM
Is this bob?

Do you remember me? Ishu ?  ;D

hey man! ... wazzup! ... didn't know you were into the pedal thing   :icon_cool:

Melanhead

Quote from: coxter on October 19, 2006, 11:40:51 AM
Oh okay great! Thanx for the response!

I'm just pretty much sick of all my other failed attempts at building a pedal, thats why i'm checking everything out first.

Oh btw, I tried out your(melanhead) DS-1 mod. Its wicked sick! A lil too heavy on the low end, but its still much much better than a keeley or a stock one.

It's a pretty simple build and sounds great! ... Shouldn't be any problem for you if you're careful.

Glad you liked the DS-1 mod ... The problem with DS-1's is that they only " good "... just can't seem to get 'em to sound "great" ! :) ..

The headcase replaced the DS-1 on my board.

ildar

The soundclips sound great, no question. It would be ideal to replace a DS-1, seems to be in the same "zone", just fuller, ballsier.
Is there a PCB layout for it?

Melanhead

Quote from: ildar on October 19, 2006, 06:51:41 PM
The soundclips sound great, no question. It would be ideal to replace a DS-1, seems to be in the same "zone", just fuller, ballsier.
Is there a PCB layout for it?

No PCB yet but I'd be very grateful to anyone that made one! ...

I do sell this pedal and it would be nice to have a PCB made up ;) ... I just don't have the time to do it. ...

I'd love to have one for my M.O.D pedal as well. I've sold it more than the other pedals I make ... The PCB would have to be small though as I make both of these in a B size box ;)

Melanhead

just checked my original drawing and yup C11 should be extended one more hole on each side ... I added this as an oscillation killer and hand drew it into my layout at home ... I must have added it to the wrong location when I updated the layout! ...   :icon_redface:

Layout now fixed ...

coxter

I soldered up everything, and it didn't work. Felt extremely disheartened, for a day or two.
and decided to come back to the forum for help.

Tho I haven't built the Audio probe yet, I sorta figured out why it didn't work.

The according to the pinouts of the 4558 i need to place the chip on the copper side of the vero board.
I just totally soldered everything the same way, where all the components are placed on the non-copper side.

Will rectify this as soon as i can and hope to bring back some good news.

going to bed....

Melanhead

Quote from: coxter on October 21, 2006, 04:57:27 PM
I soldered up everything, and it didn't work. Felt extremely disheartened, for a day or two.
and decided to come back to the forum for help.

Tho I haven't built the Audio probe yet, I sorta figured out why it didn't work.

The according to the pinouts of the 4558 i need to place the chip on the copper side of the vero board.
I just totally soldered everything the same way, where all the components are placed on the non-copper side.

Will rectify this as soon as i can and hope to bring back some good news.

going to bed....

Good luck ... hope you get it going ...