Switching diodes with 1p6t rotary switch?

Started by Izzy, October 19, 2006, 12:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzy

Hi I wanted to make a distortion pedal with different diodes.

So I wanted to make sure whether this will work or not?

I am pretty sure they will work with 1p6t switch with one set of diodes working at a time. But I wanted to know when only one set of diodes are workin will the current go to other diodes or not? And will there be any loss of current? Or what is gonna happen?

cacibi

Yup - I just did this with my BYOC Screamer clone - 8 positions on a 1p2-12t rotary, works great.

Izzy

so the current wont go on each diodes while only one set of diodes are working? So no current/ voltage loss?

and I want to make sure that 1p6t switch is what I am looking for?

cacibi

Quote from: Izzy on October 19, 2006, 12:53:18 PM
so the current wont go on each diodes while only one set of diodes are working? So no current/ voltage loss?

and I want to make sure that 1p6t switch is what I am looking for?

I haven't compared to see if there is a difference in current draw between 1 diode pair/board mounting and the rotary.  All I know is that it sounds good!

If you are referring tot he 1p6t switches from Small Bear - be advised that those are meant for PCB mounting and do not have full solder lugs - I like the larger, 12 position switch - which can be adjusted down to two positions, for ease of soldering - even though it obviously takes up more room in the enclosure.  I was able to fit two rotaries along with 16mm pots for level, drive and gain, stomp switch and LED in a BB enclosure; tone caps on the second rotary switch.

Izzy

Cant this be mounted on the enclosure with the screws that I see in the pic?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=581

how does 2p6t work?

Arn C.

cacibi

Quote from: Izzy on October 19, 2006, 01:03:42 PM
Cant this be mounted on the enclosure with the screws that I see in the pic?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=581

how does 2p6t work?

That can be mounted to the enclosure just like a pot - but the lugs are designed to be soldered directly to the PCB, so it may be a little trickier working to solder wires to the lugs - I received those by accident on one of my orders and they are pretty small.

Izzy

Arn C.