I want to build an Atari punk console

Started by theMACHINE, October 19, 2006, 10:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theMACHINE

Hi!

I'm a complete beginner to all this electronic stuff, but I still want to build myself a fine little noise machine. I found this layout while browsing arond here, and it seems like a great litte project. But, since I'm a beginner with pretty much no experience, I have a few questions.

Here's the layout i found.

To me, it seems like I cold build this without the PCB, and just wire point-to-point with wires. Is this possible, or will it be really messy?
Also, I would like a On of switch with an indicator LED (and of course a resistor for the led). Could someone please tell me where, and how i should connect this?

And one more thing; How should i connect the pots?

Thanks.
-

tcobretti

You could build it point to point.  It may be messy, but if it works, that's good enough.

A-1 means the #1 lug of the pot, A-23 means the 2nd and 3rd lugs of the pot.

For the on/off/led, this circuit isn't a guitar effect, so you really don't need it; either you are using it, or you aren't.  I think if you want a switch that turns the pedal on and lights an LED, you could use a dpdt, where one side breaks the current to the circuit and the other supplies current to the LED.  If you analyze some of the schematics over at generalguitargadgets.com, I'm sure you can figure it out.

jonathan perez

$uperpuma will make the board for you, if youd like. his name is Nate and hes a fine gentleman.

hes also got this thing for hugs, so if you ever meet him (or just want to virtually), be sure to give him a big hug.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Alex C

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Quote from: theMACHINE on October 19, 2006, 10:37:12 PM
I'm a complete beginner to all this electronic stuff, but I still want to build myself a fine little noise machine. I found this layout while browsing arond here, and it seems like a great litte project. But, since I'm a beginner with pretty much no experience, I have a few questions.

It is a fun noise machine; nothing fancy, but if you're looking for something simple to play with that can sound pretty neat, this is a good choice.
You say you are a "complete" beginner. Can you read a schematic?  Do you have a soldering iron?  Parts?

I recently built the Atari Punk Console with two 555s, as shown in this schematic:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqml77/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/ataripunkschematic.jpg.w560h784.jpg

Here's the main thread about it:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=46468.0

To me, it seems like I cold build this without the PCB, and just wire point-to-point with wires. Is this possible, or will it be really messy?

I built mine on perfboard, and it was pretty straightforward.  The difficulty you might have with it depends on your previous experience with wiring, soldering, and building on perfboard.  With a bit of planning beforehand, this can be a tidy circuit on perf.  I would recommend redrawing the schematic by hand; this forces you to become familiar with each section, and you'll get to know the circuit better.

Also, I would like a On of switch with an indicator LED (and of course a resistor for the led). Could someone please tell me where, and how i should connect this?

In this circuit, an on/off switch can be set up to switch power to the circuit on and off.  An SPST (single-pole single-throw) switch is all you'll need.  Put it in line with the positive (red on a battery clip) 9V connection between the power source (battery or adaptor) and the 9V point on the board.

An indicator LED (with current-limiting resistor in series) can go between any 9V connection in the circuit and ground.  When the switch is turned "on" the circuit is complete and the LED will light.  For the resistor, try 1.5k to 4.7k for a standard LED.  The current (and therefore brightness) will depend on the value of the resistor.

And one more thing; How should i connect the pots?

The standard method of labeling (around here, anyway) is that the lugs of the pot are labeled 1-2-3 as you look at the pot with the shaft up and the lugs facing you:

This circuit has 3 pots: the two that are used interactively to vary the frequency and sound of the tone, and the volume pot.  The first two are designated "A" and "B" in this layout, and the third, the volume control, is called "Level."
The "A-1" connection goes to lug 1 of pot A, and "A-23" goes to lugs 2 AND 3 of pot A.
Likewise, "B-12" goes to lugs 1 and 2 of pot B, and "B-3" connects to lug 3 of pot B.

Good luck with this, and the dozens of effects you'll build once we've gotten you hooked!

-Alex

choklitlove

if you decide to go the pcb route, my layout uses one ic (556) instead of 2 555s.  it's the one $uperpuma uses:
http://geocities.com/worthekik/atari.html

it shows you exactly how to wire everything.  also, you'd be surprised how much easier pcbs are than, say perfboards.  that's just my opinion though.  good luck!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Alex C

I would agree that for a first build, a PCB is probably the way to go.  There is some value in learning "the hard way," if perfing can be called that, but there is little value in becoming disillusioned by an unsuccessful first try.  I would think it best to use a verified PCB layout with a good connection diagram (like in choklitlove's link), and minimize the number of things you can mess up.

Let us know what you decide, and ask more questions if you have them.
-Alex

theMACHINE

Quote from: choklitlove on October 19, 2006, 11:51:13 PM
if you decide to go the pcb route, my layout uses one ic (556) instead of 2 555s.  it's the one $uperpuma uses:
http://geocities.com/worthekik/atari.html

it shows you exactly how to wire everything.  also, you'd be surprised how much easier pcbs are than, say perfboards.  that's just my opinion though.  good luck!
I-think I'll go for that one instead, but I'll still wire it point-to-point. ::)

Thanks guys for the help.
-

$uperpuma

Its a quick and easy build and the results are fun...if you have any problems, feel free to shoot me a message... Choklitlove's layout works like a champ.
Rock On
-Nate
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

jonathan perez

Quote from: $uperpuma on October 20, 2006, 01:16:29 PM
Its a quick and easy build and the results are fun...if you have any problems, feel free to shoot me a message... Choklitlove's layout works like a champ.
Rock On
-Nate

dont forget to hug him
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

theMACHINE

I  made my own kind of wiring layout, without a PCB. I made it based on the layout choklitlove posted ( http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f295/choklitlove/worthekik%20layouts/atarilayout.gif )

Is this correct?
Also, I if would like the power to be cut off when no plug is inserted, how do I do this? I assume I'd have to have a stereo jack?
-

Seljer

Yep, stereo jack for the power switch. Just connect the - from the battery to the ring on the jack and no other place.

theMACHINE

Quote from: Seljer on October 20, 2006, 02:02:06 PM
Yep, stereo jack for the power switch. Just connect the - from the battery to the ring on the jack and no other place.

Like this?
-

$uperpuma

please.. for the love of all that is just and good, please put it on a perfboard.. at least.  The wiring looks like it would work fine though. and FWIW, there are so few components on the PCB and they all are conneted to a trace connecting to  a pin on the IC that if you solder the pcb solid enough, it has every bit the effect of point to point wiring...

theMACHINE

Quote from: $uperpuma on October 20, 2006, 03:47:21 PM
please.. for the love of all that is just and good, please put it on a perfboard.. at least.
NEVER! ;D
-

343 Salty Beans

Quote from: theMACHINE on October 20, 2006, 03:50:00 PM
Quote from: $uperpuma on October 20, 2006, 03:47:21 PM
please.. for the love of all that is just and good, please put it on a perfboard.. at least.
NEVER! ;D

Point-to-point is alright, but if it comes down to debugging, a PCB or perf or vero can make your life a lot easier.

pedaltastic

QuotePoint-to-point is alright, but if it comes down to debugging, a PCB or perf or vero can make your life a lot easier.

I'll second that - go for Vero, it's really great easy stuff. Oh and the LED is a good idea - definately helps you remember to turn it off! Many a battery will have died without I'm sure  :icon_cry:

Snuffy

I'm going to be building a couple myself this weekend..
If it goes well I think a A.P.C. with a ruby and speaker in the same box would be really killer  :icon_mrgreen:

$uperpuma

i was thinking of trying a stutter/trem setup inside one... and maybe external switchable ldrs... what do you guys think?

zjokka

I was wondering -- are there sound samples online anywhere? really curious

zj

Paul Marossy

QuoteI was wondering -- are there sound samples online anywhere? really curious

Yeah, right here: http://compiler.kaustic.net/machines/apc.html
Wow! This is a real whacky noise maker!  :icon_eek:

While you're at it, check out the "Robot In A Jar"!