Phase 45 project zener diode question.

Started by skiraly017, October 21, 2006, 02:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I've got all the parts lying around to build build a Phase 45 except the 1N5230 4.7v zener diode. I do have a 5.1v zener though. Can I use that without any issues or should I just buy the 1N5230? Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Seljer

I don't think there should be any problems. I think I ended up using a 4.7V one but I bunch of the schematics I've seen have got 5.1 on there

skiraly017

I just got back from Fry's and they had a zener that was 4.7v but not a 1N5230. Would that be a safer bet? Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Seljer

The value isn't all that critical: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=47341.0

"As for the zener you can go with a 1N4732 (same 4.7V, 1W power instead of 1/2 W).  The 1N47xx zeners are easier to find than the 1N52xx series.  In case of desperation, you can go along with two GREEN LEDs.  In this circuit you don't need the exact 4.7V, just something relatively stable within 4 and 5 volts.  I even used an 78L05 voltage regulator for the reference voltage instead of the zener, so as to have better temp stability and less dependence on the supply voltage."

KaptenSpark

There's definitely something about cats in this thread.