Stupid Buttons...

Started by PNG123, October 22, 2006, 01:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNG123

So i have a Digitech RP50,
http://www.digitech.com/products/rp50.htm
And on the front it has 2 big stwiches (up and down -> to select effect), and then 4 small grey arrows which you use to create custom effects.
Now whilst i was pressing on one of these grey arrow button, it just popped in to the pedal!!

I tried to open the back and managed but i couldn't get to the buttons since the pcb was fitted in very tight?
Anyone ever had simliar problems, what did you do??

I really don't want to take it to the guitar shop for repairs since they charge a MINIMUM of 40$ just to accept it!! So even if they just open it any oil the parts (like of a Wah pedal) they charge 40$!!

Now if something is broken fine, but if i could fix it myself might aswell!,
After all the pedal cost me About $85, so why pay to spend 40$ to repair it??

I mean it still works but i would rather the buton be popped back, and not stuck inside the PCB.

ANyways, any help will be appreciated

R.G.

QuoteI really don't want to take it to the guitar shop for repairs since they charge a MINIMUM of 40$ just to accept it!! So even if they just open it any oil the parts (like of a Wah pedal) they charge 40$!!
That's frustrating isn't it?

But don't blame the guitar shop guys for all of it. It's one consequence of people being more expensive than things, as the situation exists now in the USA, Canada, Europe, and some other places. I know a lot of repair techs. The facts are that they are not getting rich, and in fact are often flat broke; and the stores they work for are not raking in money like either Micro$oft or attorneys. The ones who try to keep prices under something like $40-50 per hour simply go broke. I guess that more accurately, they find out that they can make more money doing other things and quit fixing equipment no matter how much they love it.
Now if something is broken fine, but if i could fix it myself might aswell!, After all the pedal cost me About $85, so why pay to spend 40$ to repair it??
I mean it still works but i would rather the buton be popped back, and not stuck inside the PCB.
That means that you have a mechanical problem - either (a) try to fix it and break it (b) try to fix it and succeed, or live with it.
I tried to open the back and managed but i couldn't get to the buttons since the pcb was fitted in very tight? Anyone ever had simliar problems, what did you do??
I've had exactly similar problems. Some of them I lived with, some I tore open. Of the ones I tore open, some I got fixed and some of them I destroyed in the attempt.

The process of trying to fix something has three possible outcomes. (1) you try and fail, losing your time and making things no worse  (2) you try and succeed, getting full use of the widget back or (3) you make it worse or destroy it in the fixing attempt, making it unreparable for anyone.  You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Look for hidden screws and fasteners, or glued-on pieces that are still holding the PCB in. Or find a friend who is mechanically adept.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

reverberation66

I'm assuming you bought this used and this is why you haven't contacted digitech.   Whatever though, if you can still use it I'd probablyjust leave well enough alone and not worry about it.  I don't really think things like this were designed to be serviced, it's a throwaway item like just about everything these days.  Stuff that's thrown together with cheap parts, un-servicable pcb's, and flimsy plastic crap that easily pops off is really annoying.  I can't imagine selling a product that is so poorly made.  But that's digitech for you...

christobean

i would deffinately not pay the $40, you can get a new one most places for about $55

andy123

I had the same problem with my rp50 a while back. I managed to open it up and replace the switch.

I don't remember it being too hard to get to.... What is the problem you're having?

Andy

PNG123

When i unscrew the screws , i see the back of the PCB board,
I take off the two screws which connect it to the batteries and then the board thosen't move. I tried tot lever it with a screwdriver and i heard a sound like glue coming off,
I think i will live with it for a while,
When i decide to get a better pedal, or build enough myself, i will tear it apart and swear at digitech for the crap product.

PNG123

Quote from: christobean on October 22, 2006, 03:26:41 PM
i would deffinately not pay the $40, you can get a new one most places for about $55

True, but here in Malta (europe) everything is more expensive.

A few months back i tool my proel wah for service (after having returned the Model 3 times!!), basically the screw which held the pot in place was loose in when i stepped on the pedal it crackled. The guy gave my a paper with the conditions and i got a fit whe i saw Minimum Service charge: $40, , Procudt bought for $42!!!!!!!!!

PNG123

Quote from: R.G. on October 22, 2006, 02:54:25 PM
QuoteI really don't want to take it to the guitar shop for repairs since they charge a MINIMUM of 40$ just to accept it!! So even if they just open it any oil the parts (like of a Wah pedal) they charge 40$!!
That's frustrating isn't it?

But don't blame the guitar shop guys for all of it. It's one consequence of people being more expensive than things, as the situation exists now in the USA, Canada, Europe, and some other places. I know a lot of repair techs. The facts are that they are not getting rich, and in fact are often flat broke; and the stores they work for are not raking in money like either Micro$oft or attorneys. The ones who try to keep prices under something like $40-50 per hour simply go broke. I guess that more accurately, they find out that they can make more money doing other things and quit fixing equipment no matter how much they love it.
Now if something is broken fine, but if i could fix it myself might aswell!, After all the pedal cost me About $85, so why pay to spend 40$ to repair it??
That means that you have a mechanical problem - either (a) try to fix it and break it (b) try to fix it and succeed, or live with it.
I tried to open the back and managed but i couldn't get to the buttons since the pcb was fitted in very tight? Anyone ever had simliar problems, what did you do??
I've had exactly similar problems. Some of them I lived with, some I tore open. Of the ones I tore open, some I got fixed and some of them I destroyed in the attempt.

The process of trying to fix something has three possible outcomes. (1) you try and fail, losing your time and making things no worse  (2) you try and succeed, getting full use of the widget back or (3) you make it worse or destroy it in the fixing attempt, making it unreparable for anyone.  You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Look for hidden screws and fasteners, or glued-on pieces that are still holding the PCB in. Or find a friend who is mechanically adept.

True,
Thanks for your tips R.G, i have already learnt alot from your articles. As i said i will use it abit more, and when i have put aside enoguh money i will buy a better model, open this up, and post the outcome over here for  you guys to feast upon the guts of this crap

PNG123

Quote from: reverberation66 on October 22, 2006, 03:12:16 PM
    I'm assuming you bought this used and this is why you haven't contacted digitech.   Whatever though, if you can still use it I'd probablyjust leave well enough alone and not worry about it.  I don't really think things like this were designed to be serviced, it's a throwaway item like just about everything these days.  Stuff that's thrown together with cheap parts, un-servicable pcb's, and flimsy plastic crap that easily pops off is really annoying.  I can't imagine selling a product that is so poorly made.  But that's digitech for you...

True,
and actually i did buy it new, from a retailer in Malta (one of best music shops in Malta, owned by 2 Scrouges whocharge amazing prices and the min. $40 for a service)

christobean

Quote from: PNG123 on October 22, 2006, 04:27:35 PM
Quote from: christobean on October 22, 2006, 03:26:41 PM

True, but here in Malta (europe) everything is more expensive.

A few months back i tool my proel wah for service (after having returned the Model 3 times!!), basically the screw which held the pot in place was loose in when i stepped on the pedal it crackled. The guy gave my a paper with the conditions and i got a fit whe i saw Minimum Service charge: $40, , Procudt bought for $42!!!!!!!!!

ook daang, what about buying stuff online?  you could check it out in the store, then look online for it cheaper if you wanna buy it.  just a thought

343 Salty Beans

evilBay can actually be not-so-evilBay if you find the right auction.

PNG123

Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on October 22, 2006, 06:16:28 PM

Very true, but still ,you rarely find good deals that ship out of the USA

343 Salty Beans

Quote from: PNG123 on October 23, 2006, 09:35:46 AM
Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on October 22, 2006, 06:16:28 PM

Very true, but still ,you rarely find good deals that ship out of the USA

Good point...

christobean

i was thinking more like musiciansfriend and stuff like that, but you might not be able to get them to ship overseas either.

pedaltastic

I had the exact same problem with my RP50. I remember it being a complete pain taking out the PCB as well. There are two metal prongs to the side of where the batteries go (if i remember correctly). These are what keeps the board in I think. I just bent mine out of the way for the circuit board, replaced the circuit board, sorted out the button and bent them back again. I was probably pretty lucky though.

Rafa

Rafa:
I hada similar problem witha rp100, theres a screw that holds the pcb its really tight so you must use a good screwdriver. Its not easy I thought I was going to brake the pcb, so be careful.
Rafa

Ge_Whiz

Buy a new one. Treat it more gently than the last one.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There must be some old guy in Malta that used to fix radios & things, and is looking for work at less than $40 per hour! ask around. The thing is, it isn't an electronic problem... just an ingenuity problem.
I have a friend who repairs bicycles, & he's a whiz at this kind of stuff!!