Troubled Fuzz Face

Started by hokie77, October 23, 2006, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hokie77

I just finished up wiring my build tonite and when i powered up there was nothing. when i checked the voltages, i held the neg probe on the batt clip and got 8.27v all over the board. seems weird, is there something wrong with that method. the layout was off ggg, always been reliable in the past. it's been awhile since i've been workin on fx, may be a little rusty with my wiring. any help is appreciated.

The Tone God

Follow the "DEBUGGING - What to do when it doesn't work" sticky and report back.

Andrew

hokie77

ok not to sound unappreciative here, but i was hoping someone would refresh as to where to meas voltages from. Is circuit ground just the ground trace on the board. if so, there must be a ground prob, if i take voltage using the neg side of batt, i get 8.27v everywhere, on both sides of resistors, every junction of trannys, both sides of polar caps, etc. just seemed a little odd and didn't want to be using faulty measurements.

petemoore

Grounds marked on FF Schem
  In/out jack sleeves
  Q1E
  Bottom of gain control/22uf
  Battery [depends on polarity, typing without knowing what the circuit is...
  Hook to an EZ to find ground point, I use a clip on the end  of a DMM lead.
  Set DMM to voltage range 20v, so that you can read the battery voltage.
  Post battery voltage with the bias voltages.
  with black lead on ground touch
  Emitter
  Base
  Collector
  All that info asked for in debug is necessary for the debugging...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

hokie77

No problem man! I'll post those up sometime tonite. I just wanted to make sure I was reading the volts right so that I didn't give bad info. Not getting any volts right now, but I'm sure it's a faulty/missing ground somewhere. The present wiring layout posted is for 3pdt switch, i used the millen bypass with a dpdt so I'll bet I mixed up some wires. I'm sure if that doesn't get it working someone can show me my error by looking at the info. I'll post back by the mornin to let yall know if I still can't get it going.

captntasty

Did you remember to insert a plug in the input jack.  Won't power up otherwise - you will be measuring your battery no matter where you measure from.  I've made that mistake so many times, but in the rush to measure/fix I still forget on occasion...  :icon_wink:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

hokie77

Hmmm...like they say, it's the little things that count. hahaha. sometimes i amaze myself. i'll post the volts this afternoon. it's been crazy at school here so i apologize about the delay the last two days. i knew i had forgotten something. :icon_redface:

hokie77

Ha all is well now, I must have made a mistake in the offboard wiring. I changed it from mill bypass with dc jack and switched outlet. now it's just batt into board, i'll work out the bugs/errors with some thought and reading.hehehe. I've been playin with amps a little while and forgot my switch wiring i think :icon_redface:Anyways, thanks for your time anyways i'll be sure to use standard posting form next time i have a problem. sorry this is my first post here, so i'm still learning the ettiquette/format around here.