SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Spin semiconductor fv-1

Started by jmasciswannabe, October 24, 2006, 12:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalGuy

SeanCostello

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.com on April 22, 2008, 06:53:34 PM
Sean, did you see my layout yet, should help getting started with this chip as a pedal.

COOL! Are you going to have boards available for this project? I will try making one of these next week.

Is there any room on the board for output buffers? Or, do you think that a dual-ganged pot could mix input and output in the analog realm without too much loss?

Again, very exciting!

Sean

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

i'd definitely try the dual ganged pot mix.

I didn't want to add too much to it because there's always going to be a long list of features to add, i kept it really simple. Besides, there's two buffers on the board, you can use one of them for input an the other one for output. For mono use, the inputs should be tied together, which frees that extra buffer for output.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

MarcoMike

Hi guys! I'm a total newbie about digital stuff, but I saw this new project at Francisco's and thought this may be my first digital experience...

reading the datasheet I couldn't understand how you select the programs... it seems pins 16,17,18 are the ones... but on the proto-board it looks like there is a sort of pot to select the program... well, how does it work?!?  ;)

thank you!
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

octfrank

The device on the dev board for program selection is a rotary encoder, not a pot. It is a digital output device so it connects to the program selection pins to drive them high/low to select the program.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

or you can use spst switches instead, even jumpers would work.

Look at the datasheet for program assignments.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

MetalGuy

External free programs found on Spin's website are much more interesting by the way.
The other way to select programs is to use an ordinary rotary encoder in combination with a small MCU /like PIC16F629 for example/.

MarcoMike

Thank you guys! I think the three swithes array suits me better.. ::)

now it seems my problem is to find the chip  :P

puretube

US: small bear
EU: pro fusion

up to you, to check the shipping costs... (  :icon_wink: )

MarcoMike

It's quite funny... shipping costs within europe are double the price of the chip... :(

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Get some more stuff, that way the chip/ship ratio will improve. :icon_wink: :P

amz-fx

I posted a short mod on the Spin forum (and in my blog) on how to double the amount of user-programmable memory for the FV-1.

Enjoy!

-Jack

scratch

I was thinking of replacing the pots with 8-bit DACs, driven by up/down binary counters, each program would have it's own set of counters (with CMOS I might even be able to save the counter info with battery backup) ... I've got a whole tube of 7-segment displays, I figure I could use these to monitor the outputs of the counters ...

BUT, I can't find a display driver that will do hex! The closest I've found are displays made by Avago with built-in decode/driver, but at $23.00(ish) per digit, not going to happen.

Anybody ever come across a solution other than Micro-controllers ?

Thanks,
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

octfrank

Solutions off the top of my head:

DM9368 from Fairchild if you can find any
Programmable logic (i.e 22V10, cheap FPGA)
EEPROM (inputs to address lines, outputs to 7-segment)

Frank
OCT Distribution
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

scratch

Octfrank,

been unable to find the DM9368 (would have been the best solution, and surprising that it didn't catch on!)

the 22V10/CPLD is cheaper, but I then have to invest in a programmer, and some code generation.

EEPROM, more expensive, same footprint as 22v10, but way easier to implement, I might just pursue this avenue,

thanks for the ideas!
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

amz-fx

Does anyone know of a commercially available box using the FV-1 chip?  I want to buy one for experimentation purposes.

Thanks, Jack

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: amz-fx on September 16, 2008, 01:21:00 PM
Does anyone know of a commercially available box using the FV-1 chip?  I want to buy one for experimentation purposes.

Thanks, Jack

I think the EHX Holy Stain uses one.
Try a little tenderness.

amz-fx

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on September 16, 2008, 01:44:21 PM
I think the EHX Holy Stain uses one.

Thanks. Anyone here have one that can confirm that?

regards, Jack

eddieod

Hi all,

I've got two fv-1's but I just can't get them to work! Power supply is ok, everything is connected as it's supposed to be but no sound coming out of it....any ideas? Are these devices ultra sensitive to static and/or heat during soldering?

Any help will very much be appreciated...

Edwin

octfrank

Edwin,

Email or post on the Spin website forum a full description and pdfs of the schematic and board layout.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize