So-Simple Compressor in Layouts Gallery

Started by markm, October 24, 2006, 08:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on October 28, 2006, 05:42:11 PM
Ok, almost finished building the V1!!!  Just need to know if I can use a 500k trimpot instead of the 1k one.  Im sure I can, but just want to verify before I get it all connected via perfboard.
I think ya need to stick with the 50K in order to use the panel mounted pot.
If not, I suppose you could always build it like the O/S comp control....set it and forget it!

KerryF

What would the trim pot do?  Does it do something thats worth having it external?  I am just about done besides the offboard stuff, but I have a "Sweet 16" to go to, and then a Halloween party which will last late.  So I guess I will have to finish it tomarrow  :icon_cry: .

Kerry  :)

markm

The trim adusts the Maximum amount of compression that the panel mount pot can control.

KerryF

Ok, so you suggest having it external or internal?  And I cant really understand if you said that a 500k internal trimpot would be fine instead of the 1k trim.

*REMEMBER: Version 1 (V1) not V2.

markm

Version 1 uses a 50K internal trimmer in conjunction with a B5K panel mount pot.
So, it has 1 internal trimmer and 2 panel mount pots ( 1 Comp + 1 Level control)  :icon_confused:

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz link=topic=50843.msg381413#msg381413 date=1162073845
*REMEMBER: Version 1 (V1) not V2.
/quote]

I think we have been discussing two different layouts here.
The updated Layouts have been posted.

KerryF

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on October 29, 2006, 07:17:31 AM
ohh... what was wrong with the other?

I had to correct the lug connections on the Comp pot plus I re-routed some things to fit better.
The one  that is in there now is functional and sounds real good.  8)

KerryF

Can I still build it using the other layout?  I am finished besides the offboard wiring. 

markm

KerryF

SWEET!  I will post back with pictures and sound clips once I finish soon.  :)  Thanks again for these amazingly helpful layouts.  I have always wanted to have a compressor, but didnt have etching solution, or the balls to try to perf one yet.  But I perfed it fine, and its the cleanest job I have done  :).

KerryF

Mark,

I just finished building the old V1.  I hooked it up, and got no sound with the battery connected, but clean sound when battery disconnected.  Im pretty sure everything is right.  What now??  ???

markm

KerryF

I have.  Still nothing...  :-\

I hope I get this to work...  It should be working.

markm

Look over the NEW Layout and see if there are any major differences in your build.
The original one posted has some slight differences in it.

KerryF

Well the new one has 4 transistors instead of 3.  No diode.  It looks pretty different...

markm

You're building brett's version which works but, the compression pot does not.
The So-Simple is from puzzle87 which works marvelously.
If I could suggest one over the other I would build puzzle87's version 2 as it is THE Best out of the bunch.
I removed brett's from my Gallery (sorry brett  :icon_frown: ) because, it had issues that I myself could not seem to correct and I was pretty much not going to persue that circuit any further.
Version1 and Version2 of the So-Simple Compressor that are currently in the Gallery are VERIFIED and work fine without a hitch.
Try 'em!

KerryF

But I already built the hole thing  :'(

Is there any way to get it working?

markm

I gave up AFTER I built the whole thing too!  :icon_cry:
I had high hopes for it but, it had some issues that I couldn't figure out  :icon_confused:
Tell ya what, I don't even own myself a bread-board right now so, if I post a circuit that is VERIFIED then you know I have etched a board for it,  put it together and it works!
I sometimes will post a circuit in the Gallery as UNVERIFIED when I haven't had the time to build it in the hopes that some kind fellow will assist his fellow boardmembers as well as myself, and determine if it works or not! I have yet to have this happen but, I still try  :icon_lol:
Everything in MY Gallery that is not marked as UNVERIFIED I have personally built myself and is functional.
Those marked as UNVERIFIED are just that, not built by me, don't know if it's correct or not, don't know if there are mistakes or not etc.

KerryF

But this one did say verified...

Do you have a schematic?  Wouldnt it be possible to just trace the schematic and see the problem?