So-Simple Compressor in Layouts Gallery

Started by markm, October 24, 2006, 08:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on October 29, 2006, 11:20:57 AM
But this one did say verified...
??? I don't remember doing that.
Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on October 29, 2006, 11:20:57 AM
Do you have a schematic?  Wouldnt it be possible to just trace the schematic and see the problem?

This one isn't brett's but it is probably the one you mean.
This schem is what started things rolling.

KerryF

Thanks...

Ok, what I am doing is making a comparison PCB layout for both.  Meaning that since I used the other layout, I will see what needs to be added or changed to create the other one.

markm

Also, if you were to search for the Aussie Comp thread, you could probably find where the ideas for this circuit originated.
Maybe even EZ or Easy Comp as well.  :icon_wink:

KerryF

I think I am just going to do the new V2.  Im kindof upset for the waste of parts though...  Any ideas of what to do with it?  Mark, were you saying that it sounds good even without the compression?

markm

It would compress, The compression pot did not have any effect on the circuit so, the pot itself was useless.
It did sound good but, since it did not function completely, I "axed" it.
The circuit did sound good though.....real squishy but in your face kinda sound.  :icon_neutral:

KerryF

But theres no were that the compression pot could be added to work?  Has Brett said anything about it and why it isnt working, or why he thought it would work?

Still hopeing to get it to work but seems useless.

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on October 29, 2006, 12:16:18 PM

Still hopeing to get it to work but seems useless.

That's what I thought and gave up on it.  :icon_neutral:
This is also why I persued the V1 and V2 builds.....they are Much Better.  8)

KerryF

Ok, I guess I will just build V2.   :-\

Well, at least I got experience in clean perfboarding.   :)  Oj well anyway, thanks for the V2 and cant wait to try it.  Is it better than say the Ross Comp?  It sounds like this is really nice.

markm

It's no "better" than the Ross.
I would compare it to the Orange Squeezer but it is different than that one too. It's on it own  ;D

theman

hi markm,

do you have a schematic for version 2? also, how does it compare to the comp based on the analog devices ssm2166? i have built the latter (with a mosfet buffer on the input), and it is great, with the ability to boost as well, but it's a little noisy (thankfully there's a noise gate built-in).

markm

Quote from: theman on November 01, 2006, 12:25:23 PM
hi markm,

do you have a schematic for version 2? also, how does it compare to the comp based on the analog devices ssm2166? i have built the latter (with a mosfet buffer on the input), and it is great, with the ability to boost as well, but it's a little noisy (thankfully there's a noise gate built-in).

You must mean the Q&D Compressor.
Well, It's a hell of alot simpler but a higher parts count due to the fact that all the guts of the compressor in the Q&D are in the chip!
Being that it's simpler, it is no where near as flexible as the Q&D however, it is clean, no distortion to my ears and has a flavor kind of like the Orange Squeezer but different.
Its attack is just about the same as the O/S and the recovery is quick too but, it sounds damn good!!
Here's the schemo from a different thread;

I like this thing alot and can't say enough good about it as an alternative to all the "common" DIY comps we all know and love.

theman

hi markm,

thanks for the schematic. i assume this matches the v2 perfboard and pcb layout in the galleries? you mention using as the input jfet a 2sk170bl for low noise, but in the gallery, the part listed is a j201. is there a big difference? i have a lot of j201s, but not sure where i can pick up a 2sk170bl in the states.

i've already got a few nice comps (not diy except for the q&d), but i love the simplicity of this one.

markm

This is puzzle87's Layout.
He is from the Ukraine and informed me the J201 would be a suitable substitute when I asked him the same question!
This does match the V2 layouts I have posted and both are verified.
Have at it, it's a fun and great sounding little circuit!

KerryF

I have gotten a bit of V2 perfed.  Still awaiting an order from Mouser and Small Bear to finish up  :)

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on November 01, 2006, 05:53:11 PM
I have gotten a bit of V2 perfed.  Still awaiting an order from Mouser and Small Bear to finish up  :)
Cool  8)
Please post the results!

KerryF

Sure will!

On Saturday I am going to buy the Epiphone Valve Junior head for a nice tube practice amp.  I have a solid state amp and a hybrid (tube preamp) amp, but no tube amp yet.  I cant wait to have a nice tube amp to crank and play with all of my pedals.  I cant wait to hear my BluesBreaker, Vintage Booster, and this Compressor on the amp because im sure they all sound especially good with tube.  :)

markm

With the exception of the Ruby, I am strictly a tube amp guy but I have good reason.....I'm Old-School!  :icon_razz:

KerryF

haha yea.  I will post soundclips as soon as I finish it.  Hopefully soon, because a week from now, we are moving about 5 minutes away, and I wont be able to build for like 2 days until I finally get my workbenches!!!!  I have probably said this before, but I am excited: I get a bedroom with a bathroom connecting it to another room which will be my guitar room and electronics work room (with comfy sofa/sleep sofa, comfy chair-thing, all my guitar equiptment, workbench, electric piano [if it can fit, if not, then it goes in my sisters room.  my sister is in college so her room will just be for when she visits].  So I will pretty much have my own "wing" of the house that I wont need to leave...  Food? I have enough candy from Halloween to survive for a while  ;) .

KerryF

Ok heres some pictures!

Heres the V1 from Brett's version.  This is the compressor that doesnt work.  Too bad, I think I did a pretty nice perfboarding job on it.

Heres the V2 from puzzle.  The one that is supposed to be the best.

I just need a .33uF capacitor to finish it, and to add the pots when I get them (hopefully tomarrow!).  Any recommended substitutions for the .33uF because I dont have one and dont want to order one.  Anyway, soundclips when finished!

Thanks.

KerryF

Anyone have a good suggestion for a .33uF replacment in V2?