Previous topic - Next topic

Seljer

KerryF

Quote from: Seljer on November 03, 2006, 04:09:57 PM
a .22uF and a .1uF in parallel?
|------|------To Board
(.22)   (.1)
   |____|_____To Board

this correct?   I can use a .22uF Electrolytic correct?

puzzle87

call1800ksmyazz

.33u - optionally, may be in range 0.33u...2.2u

Good luck

Meanderthal

Also- a little tip: Try using the perfboards without the copper pad-per-hole... It's way too easy to get a horrible solder bridge with pad-per-hole! I've found the stuff with just plain holes much easier to work with.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

KerryF

Thanks puzzle... I will try a .47uF cap instead of the .33uF!

Meanderthal- I understand the whole globbing thing.  I use a lot of desoldering braid.  Its very helpful.

I have another question about soldering irons really quick.  My iron, well the tip on it wears out in like 1-2 weeks and then I have to buy a new one.  Heres a few pictures of some of the horrible monsters the tips have become:

Anyone have the same problem with iron tips?  I have the Radio Shack 15/30 watt iron.  I use it on 30watts with a 30watt tip.

Meanderthal

Jeeze, that's a subject worthy of a whole new thread! There are several things you can do about that, and I bet other people do other things that I don't... You can:
Sharpen the ones in the picture with a file and re use them.
Keep them clean and tinned at all times.
Plug them in and use them only when necessary, then unplug immediately when done. Leaving them sit cooking ages them.
Get a temp controlled soldering station, weller or equiv., find the ideal temp for long life.
I'm sure there are many other do's and don'ts for max tip life...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

KerryF

Yea, not to hijack the thread, but just to respond and finish that topic...

I do sand them down every time they become unusable and get only about 1 more use from the tip.

I will probably get a nice soldering iron eventually because this is getting very annoying.  The one all the way to the left (the worst one) is what I managed to do these compressors with  :-X.  I think I did a pretty good job for soldering with a "flat" tip.