Cutting a tone control into a Small Clone a la Arion Fat Chorus. Anyone done it?

Started by skiraly017, October 25, 2006, 11:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I had a chance to play an Arion Fat Chorus and thought the tone control was a pretty cool idea. Has anyone tried to do it? If so, what were the results? Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Processaurus

Is that where the tone control affects only the delayed signal?  If so it might be cool to use a panning tone control like the big muff (but with equal caps and resistors, so it has a flat mid response in the middle) so you could cut treble or cut bass to the vibratoed signal.  I would insert it, looking at the tone pad small clone page after the 1 uF coupling cap attached to Q2.  I'd use another coupling 1uF coupling cap after it, and attach that where the original 1uF was going.  Also the delayed signal would need more gain after the losses in the tone control.  I'd try adjusting the 20K resistor in that section smaller, and see if that would work out.  Otherwise I'd make the clean signal's mixing resistor (22k, after the "A" on the schematic) larger and the 33K in the feedback loop of the opamp larger as well (maybe a 100K trim pot instead would be the easiest way to set the overall gain). 

Here's a weird idea:  try using a dual 100K pot, and use it to simultaniously control 2 flat mids BMP type tonestacks on both the clean and wet signal, but wire it so one tonestack is opposite the other.  So at one end of the tone control, you're getting all your bass from the wet, and treble from the dry, and at the other end, you're getting all the highs (and some BBD noise too, whatever) from the wet, and bass from the dry.  In the middle, it'd sound pretty much like a stock small clone.