Harmonic Jerkulator Review (sort of)

Started by Austin73, October 27, 2006, 01:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin73

Hi Everyone, just thought I'd pass on my experience of building the Harmonic Jerkulator.

I used Tim Escobedos layout doen on Vero by Andrew Carroll (Big Thanks)

No real dramas building the pedal although didn't have the .02uF  amd .05uF caps so used .022 and .047uF as confirmed by Marty M.

Plugged in worked first time!

Was expecting the usual Fuzz type effect but my god this thing really does rock! Goes from light overdrive to all out distortion nice and meaty!

All I can say is if you haven't built one yet you should as you might be surprised like me.

Ease of build : novice

Sound : Heavy! lol

All thats left to say is a big thanks for everyone who made this possible, and if your ever in Bournemouth I owe you a pint! lol

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Arn C.

Austin,
  Thanks for the review!
I was wondering what pot you used for input pot? Linear or log taper?

Thanks!
Arn C.

Dragonfly

Austin...glad you like it ! Tim designed a cool little circuit....

can you do me a favor ?  please take a second to post your "comments" in my layouts gallery, on the Jerkulator layout itself...just go to the layout, and it should have a "comments" button....

thanks !

AC

Austin73

Hey Arn, I used 100K linear for the gain and 100K log for volume, works for me but not sure if its correct! lol

And Andrew I'll be over ASAP to add comment, its the least I can do as you work so hard so I don't have to!

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Austin73

Andrew all done, also added comments to some other projects of yours , should have a Red Llama review for you next week

Cheers for everything

Aus

Dragonfly

Quote from: Austin73 on October 27, 2006, 01:55:37 PM
Hey Arn, I used 100K linear for the gain and 100K log for volume, works for me but not sure if its correct! lol

And Andrew I'll be over ASAP to add comment, its the least I can do as you work so hard so I don't have to!

Aus

thanks bro !

Austin73

Just while your knocking about Andrew don't suppose you ever got round to vero PWM or Super Simple Square Wave Made Simpler?

Fingers Crossed

Aus (Lazy )

Dragonfly

Quote from: Austin73 on October 27, 2006, 02:08:29 PM
Just while your knocking about Andrew don't suppose you ever got round to vero PWM or Super Simple Square Wave Made Simpler?

Fingers Crossed

Aus (Lazy )

havent yet....been creating some new effects though...

you might check out the thread on the "Cream Pie"....very cool little germanium boost/drive....

im also finishing up a mosfet overdrive, a variable phase circuit, a opamp based overdrive, and a few cmos drives and "noisemakers" !  just gotta find time to finish them all up....

AC

Arn C.

Thanks Austin!

That is what I thought would be correct...
Peace!
Arn C.

Seljer

Quote from: Austin73 on October 27, 2006, 02:08:29 PM

Fingers Crossed

Aus (Lazy )

Since I don't have anything to do I'm working on the Square Wave one right now, almost done

Seljer

and I finished it :D :D

not verified but I worked off the rough layout I made in Eagle so hopefully its right. I realise the wires are slightly jumbled, but nothing too hard to not be able to put into a box..

jmusser

I never built the Jerkulator, as I didn't have much luck with it's name sake the "Harmonic Perclator". I believe my version was from Alfonzo Hermida, which I made several years ago. It was quite a disappointment. The Simple Square Wave Shaper on the other hand, is an awesome circuit, and one I use pretty often. Lots of sustain, and lots of the square wave fuzz thickness. I will have to go back and revisit the Jerkulator/Perculator sometime, because there have been several say that both were really good sounding circuits.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Dragonfly

Quote from: Seljer on October 27, 2006, 04:00:03 PM
and I finished it :D :D

not verified but I worked off the rough layout I made in Eagle so hopefully its right. I realise the wires are slightly jumbled, but nothing too hard to not be able to put into a box..

those building this *note* the jumpers UNDER the IC...the one is a bit hard to see, so dont forget it !

AC

Austin73

Seljar ,

what can I say , your a star will be having a stab at that one very shortly. Although I don't have any 2n5088 so do u suggest anything else?

Also Jmausser, The harmonic jerkulator is pretty dependant on what guitar and amp your using, my Parker Fly does't sound as good as my Tanglewood Tomkat! and I put my through a Behringer Bass Vamp Pro which gives varying results depending on what amp sim I'm using but its welll worth playing around with till you find something working right!

Hope that helps

Aus

Wild Zebra

Hey after this success story I figured I make one of these.  Well I made two and neither of them worked!  I just got a very faint sound when bypassed.  I have a question which way is the Electrolytic facing.  I assumed - was on the bottom since thats ground.  and the top was +. I pretty sure I even flipped it though.  Took out the switch and wired it staight to the pots.  No go.  Oh well I felt prtyy defeated, but anyway wondering about the electrolytic?
"your stripes are killer bro"