Alternative footswitches? "Rockman" style?

Started by sfr, October 28, 2006, 06:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

I'm planning on begining building my "all in one" unit for my DIY effects.  I've got most of the details planned out.  One thing I'd like to do, however, is use an alternative to the Carling/Blue 3PDT style switch - I've been experimenting with electronic switching on the breadboard and may implement some variation of that, particularly if I decide that I need fancy switching options.  But the reasons I'd like to step away from standard mechanical plunger style switches like on MXR type boxes is one of both aesthetics and comfort.  I've always preferred the feel of a treadle-style footswitch like Boss has used; if for nothing else than it's easier to switch barefoot.  I also think with the style I'm going for on this unit, a larger footswitch may be more aesthetically pleasing, which seems like a silly reason, but I figure I'm going to be spending enough time on this that I ought to make it look nice.

However, implementing something like the Boss-style treadle footswitch seems like it would involve a bit more metal working than I'm comfortable with or have the equipment for.  Something like the Ibanez "9 Series" style footswitch seems like it would be easier to implement, (and look really ace) but only if I could track down the actuator module, which I'm not sure is feasible.

My mind ran to a pedal I used to own, however; the Rockman Acoustic Simultor pedal.  They seem to use a seperate actuator to activate a tactile switch, but the actuator seems like it'd be fairly easy to panel mount.  (Google image search with some pictures here)  Or perhaps something like the footswitches in the Boss RC-50 Loop Station or their other multi-effects units?

I've done a bit of searching, and haven't had much luck finding anything for sale.   I'll continue, and I'm sure I can find something eventually, but I thought maybe someone here would have an idea for something that would work or something I could build. 

I think I remember seeing something similar over at Happ Controls, but can't seem to find anything going back there.   I do have a bunch of old arcade machine buttons from a MAME cabinet project - I almost wonder if those would be sturdy enough.  I could use the Cherry microswitches to run electronic switching. 

But I guess I'm rambling - but does anyone have any ideas?  I'm going to need at least a dozen of these, so I'm hoping to keep cost down somewhat, but cost isn't really my main deciding factor here, comfort (my own idea of comfort, I understand this is subjective) and looks really are.
sent from my orbital space station.

Austin73

Not sure if its any use to you but Banzai do the line 6 actuaters like the one sfound on th *m4 series pedals

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

sfr

Austin - helpful to know (doesn't Steve at Smallbear sell those actuators too?)  But then I'm still stuck in the carling-style plunger footswitch territory, even if it is an actuator for a microswitch.  I guess I was a little murky in my rambling original post, but that's what I'm trying to get away from - the physical feel and look of those plunger-type switches.

R.G. - that looks cool!   I vaguely remember seeing that article, and guess I had forgotten all about it.  This looks like it may be the route to go, as it would also help when it comes to mounting these rectangular LEDs I want to use. 

Looks like I may have answer I'm looking for here, but if any information anyone else has is still greatly appreciated.

choklitlove

Quote from: R.G. on October 28, 2006, 06:31:51 PM
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/footswitch_pancake/footswitch_pancake.htm
i read that the other day.  has anyone built one and have some nice pics?  looks cool, but pictures really seal the deal, if you know what i mean.  thanks!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

smallbearelec

See below

smallbearelec

Quote from: sfr on October 28, 2006, 08:17:50 PM
Austin - helpful to know (doesn't Steve at Smallbear sell those actuators too?)

Long before I started importing those Carling-like actuators, I had experimented with similar ideas cobbled from plumbing parts and/or plastic bottle caps filled with Bondo. I got some of them to work, and I even had a machine shop make me a few metal actuators when I was working on the Tremulous Bear. But by then I had made the supply connection with the Taiwanese switch manufacturer, and I've been pretty happy with the combination of the metal actuator and a board-mounted tactile switch. See my article on the construction of a "shell" ("Wrapper," as R. G. calls it.)

http://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/Shell/Shell.html

While this is clearly not what you want, I hope maybe it sparks some ideas for a different design.

Regards
SD

sfr

Thanks, Steve.

I plan on picking up a couple of those actuators to play with - while they might not satisfy the aesthetic I'm looking for, they may satisfy the tatctile feel I'm after - the construction of those, at least from what I can tell, seems to make it appear that they will function a little more "softly" than the standard carling-style mechanical switch. 

The more and more I read about electronic switching, the more I feel like it's the way to go. 

smallbearelec

Quote from: sfr on October 29, 2006, 07:51:13 AM
while they might not satisfy the aesthetic I'm looking for, they may satisfy the tatctile feel I'm after - the construction of those, at least from what I can tell, seems to make it appear that they will function a little more "softly" than the standard carling-style mechanical switch. 

Absolutely! They are Very soft when used with a tactile switch. The ker-chunk of the Carling is deliberately built into the mechanism. There is none of that with the actuator.

SD