News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

IC problem

Started by Barcode80, October 29, 2006, 01:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcode80

okay, so i built the 741 booster according to dragonfly's vero layout. everything worked out of the box, then i put it in the housing and nothing. then i realize (due to the excessive and rapidly rising temperature of the battery) that there must be a solder bridge somewhere shorting the battery. sure enough, after remelting and making sure there are no shorts, she fired up. however, i think i must have blown the LED when i miswired. no problem, i have plenty, so i put another in. then i put it all back together, stick in the chip, and now i think the chip is dead. i only had that one 741, so would anyone know the effects of using, say, a 4558 in this thing?

pyrop

It won't work..
The 741 is a single opamp where as the 4558 is a dual.
Check the datasheets.
There is a heap of compatible chips that are available.
e.g. TL071, LM308 etc

pyrop ;D

Barcode80

what about the LM386? is it dual or single?

R.G.

The LM386 is a power amp chip, not an opamp. It may or may not work even if the pinout is correct. It's a single.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Peter Snowberg

The LM386 is also different in how it biases the inputs and how the gain is set. Unlike an opamp, it contains internal resistors for both of these functions.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Barcode80

cool, i've got a mess of tl071's on the way, i'll just pop that in. thanks for all your help guys!

navales314

Quote from: R.G. on October 29, 2006, 01:13:47 PM
The LM386 is a power amp chip, not an opamp. It may or may not work even if the pinout is correct. It's a single.
What about cr18818 same pinout and same work?

Sent from my SM-J105B using Tapatalk

PRR

Welcome.

The cr18818 is _not_ an audio amplifier. It is a PWM control chip for switch-mode supplies. Not even slightly similar.

LM386/NJM386 is widely available all over the world at low price.
  • SUPPORTER

navales314

Quote from: PRR on December 31, 2017, 10:22:36 PM
Welcome.

The cr18818 is _not_ an audio amplifier. It is a PWM control chip for switch-mode supplies. Not even slightly similar.

LM386/NJM386 is widely available all over the world at low price.
So what will i do its hard to find same pinout of this IC cr18818?

Sent from my SM-J105B using Tapatalk