So-Simple Compressor VERSION 2 (verified) in Layouts Gallery

Started by markm, October 29, 2006, 09:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Just finished building Version 2 of puzzle87's So-Simple Compressor and I have to say, he has done a wonderful job designing
this circuit. It has the same type of compression as the Orange Squeezer but, it also has a character all it's own. It offers real nice smooth and full compression with virtually no noise what-so-ever. This Comp is real quiet even at the extreme settings.
If you're looking for a nice little alternative to all of the other DIY compressors out and about on the net, give this one a try.....you will no regret it one bit!
The layout can be found in here>>>>http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album15
The gallery includes both a PCB layout and a perf-build so have at it.
Please note that the working VERIFIED version is slightly different than what was posted previously as I adjusted the layout as I built it to help accomadate components more easily so everything fits a bit better.
I'd like to personally thank puzzle87 for all of the help with this circuit and for providing us with a SUPERB DIY comp that's easy to build yet sounds very, very good  :icon_wink:
Please post results if you choose to build one.
Enjoy!

Timebutt

Seems like a very interesting circuit. My question is: would it be decent to be used for bass? I'm doubting between building either this pedal or the Ross compressor: maybe somebody that built both could help me out here? :)
The 'level' control is volume if I'm right?

Thanks
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

markm

Hey! A Blast from the past!  :D
Yes,
Level does control the volume.
I can't say as to whether or not this would be good for Bass as I play guitar.
Many Bass players seem to use the O/S but, don't let that steer you away from this circuit as it is similar.
As you can see, the build reports on this circuit seem to be scarce although a few I know have built this Compressor seemed to like it ALOT!

markm

timo

Hi, I have built this  (My first real build, from MarkM's layout, Thank You! :icon_mrgreen:) and IMO it sounds good at least with my standard four string passive Jazz Bass. However I think it has little headroom with bass as it does get a bit dirty when playing fingerstyle with a hard touch.

Timebutt

So playing a bass that has a hot output with a pick might be even harder to get the output of the compressor clean?
Is it possible to for instance use the pedal on an 18V power supply thus getting more headroom or is this not a circuit that supports that (I don't really know that criterium for when a circuit can run on both 9V and 18V).
Does it get better when you play your bass with volume controls on 50% only? I seem to get the best sound if I set the knobs this way.

Maybe the good old 'build them both and find out' seems to be in place here? :D
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Pakaloabob

I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to put in my $0.02 to make sure this project doesn't get lost and forgotten.
I built Puzzle87's "So-Simple Comp" from MarkM's layout (version 2) and I totally agree with the comments. It is a very clean and sweet compression. I really can't believe how a circuit with so few components could sound so good! And yes, the comparisons to the Orange Squeezer are instantly realized as soon as one starts pickin' with this compressor.
The only issue I had with the build was that for the particular FETs I used, the 20k trimpot wasn't enough to get the proper voltage at Q1's drain. A 50k trimmer would work best.
I have a few comments concerning the volume and compression pots:
The 2nd trimmer in the circuit seems to be used to dial in the max compression with the 5k compression pot set all the way CW. After this is set, moving the compression pot CCW will reduce compression. For me, this range was very narrow, meaning that when I had compression set to the sweet spot, reducing the 5k pot didn't do much to my ears. With that being said, I like the character of the effect as is, and the compression pot really just allows a fine tweaking, which is all that is necessary.
The volume pot does not seem to have a wide range either. When adjusting the 2nd trimmer to find the compression sweet spot, the volume is also affected. I was not sure where to keep the volume level when making the adjustment.
I would imagine that after putting this circuit together it might take a while to dial in the proper setting to get the desired compression and volume levels. But once you're there, this is a GREAT little effect -  Highly Recommended.
Thanks MarkM!

EDIT: Here is the current link to the layout:http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/MarkMs-Gallery/album15/album76/So_Simple_Comp_V2_LAYOUT.gif.html

davepedals

the electrolytic caps "are" non-polarized, correct?  if so - can polarized be used, and how?

thanks.
dave
dave

Taylor

They're polar, note that one pad on each electro is square. The square pad is positive.

davepedals

dave