Question about matched Tone Bender trannies from Small Bear.

Started by skiraly017, November 02, 2006, 11:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

This is my first Tone Bender build so I ordered the matched tranny kit from Small Bear. I received a Q1 of 70 (I'm assuming hfe), a Q2 of 70 and a Q3 of 136. Q2 and Q3 look that same while Q1 is a different style. I would assume that matched meant all three were the same or very close. Would someone be willing to explain this to me? Thanks.

"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

tungngruv

Yes, I got the same type of set from Steve. They sounded great. He has the position marked on the outside of the bag along with the hfe. I also got a small piece of paper with bias notes. I think I even got a resister with each trannie? As long as the gains are right, I don't think the type of trannie makes a difference.

Dragonfly

Quote from: tungngruv on November 02, 2006, 11:47:48 PM
Yes, I got the same type of set from Steve. They sounded great. He has the position marked on the outside of the bag along with the hfe. I also got a small piece of paper with bias notes. I think I even got a resister with each trannie? As long as the gains are right, I don't think the type of trannie makes a difference.

DITTO...i got a few sets of them a while back...they'll sound great !

petemoore

Those are nice numbers...
  I think I'd like them because
  Lower Q2 E/C current will possibly reduce thermal runaway/bias problems?
  Probably lower noise than say a 100hfe Q2.
  Tonebenders have Lotsa gain, I pregained or turned my PAF HB W/500k Volumepot to around 9 and <9 for sweetest responses.
  Should exhibit wide dynamic changes when varying volume control and picking attack.
  If you can find Joe Davissons FF calculator you can run the Hfe numbers for your Tonebender's Q's 2 & 3 [which is the FF 2 transistor feedback amp portion of the Tonebender] through and see what numbers it comes up with, just for kicks.
  Are you using a SB 1k 'for FF' pot?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

rockgardenlove

I got some too.  Two of the same, one different.

Haven't tried them yet.  I built a FF and haven't needed another fuzz.  The fuzz face has some real magic to it.