Tinning vero-board??

Started by greenacarina, November 03, 2006, 06:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenacarina

Hi all! I am embarking on my first foray of building a pedal with veroboard. How many of you tin your "strips" first? Any reason I should or shouldn't??
Thanks!!
Chris

Dragonfly

...no reason to...at least that ive ever found....

ive built "just a few" vero based pedals...   ;D

AC

choklitlove

just in case you didn't catch that... "just a few" is probably a joke.

you didn't fool me, dragonfly!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Gilles C

If you always use a new stripboard, it will normally be easy to solder them. But if you use some 5 years old stripboard for example, you may have to clean the traces with some alcohol or with a scrubber or some fine sanding paper before soldering the components, because the copper could be oxidised a bit.

I never tinned them, but I had to clean some stripboards I had since a couple of years.

When I want a tinned stripboard, I buy them already tinned. That's for my final circuits. I use the normal untinned vero-board for my tests, because they are cheaper, but the tinned ones are of better quality also.

Gilles

greenacarina

I did catch the humor in "just a few".  ;D
So far I'm doing OK with un-tinned strips, but at times the solder seems a little finicky and those strips are SO close together and I'm trying to avoid little solder bridges like crazy.
Thanks for the input!
Chris

Ronsonic

Scrub the traces nice and shiny and the Kester flux pen is pricey, but makes for oh-so-smooth-and-pretty solders.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

bancika

I just clean board with finest sand paper I've got, wipe it with acetone and spray it with plastic spray. It keeps it from oxidation and doesn't make soldering harder
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here