VOX V847 mods?

Started by Funky_Tomo, November 04, 2006, 09:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funky_Tomo

What are some good mods for this pedal. I got a good condition VOX V847 my dad got for me other in UK and it sounds alright, still cool, but i want to blow the crowd out of the water with it.

Ive seen some mods for range here http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahFAQ.htm (about half way down the page) and it looks pretty cool, replacing the 0.01uf to a 0.0015 uf or a .22uf for added range. Have any of you tried this??
Thanks guys.

Funky_Tomo

jonathan perez

.015, and .022 for more lows/less highs. big fat almost bass like sound.

not .22 or .0015
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

boogietube

.022 is great ! I just did it today to a friend's 847. I also added an led , true bypass,vocal mod, midrange mod, and a power jack.
Here's a page you should check out:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/wah.html
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

Gila_Crisis

i modded my vox wah too!
so replaced the 68k with a 47k (more volume), true bypass, the stock 500k with a 470k (little more bass), the 1k5 with a 2k2 (for mids, but i tried a 4k7 as well and was cool too :P), the 33k with a 100k pot and putted in a 5 rotary switch for the sweep with .01 .022 .033 .047 .068 uF condensators
pics here: www.putfile.com/gila_crisis

Funky_Tomo

Awesome. I just put in the bypass mod, sounds great and i removed the top rubber stoppers, way easier to get in and out of my wahage. I had to get rid of them because i couldnt get the hieght of the last switch with the one i got. Does the mids mod make it sound better? Cause mods wahs have bass and treb but shit all mids.

boogietube

The mid mod is great . You could use 2 or 2.2k as I remember. I used 2.2k. It helped in the mids and smoothed out the transition between low and high.
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

petemoore

good mileage wrought out when socketting the transistors.
  IIRC that first MPSA18 was..a nuisance
  If course when talking about modded transistors, we're ACerainly talking about 'this' transistor with 'Those' mods -subtexts...}where to start?
  Who knows, transistor gain change and a BC transistor changed the sound.
  This V847's got the other mods on it too...Y Fasel...tuned caps.
  Took time to figure/chain/test/refigure/mod/chain/test.
  You may have a wacky match of sweep range to pot taper..been so long since I've studied that schem...there's a small cap...which when made bigger tames the highs...messing about with the circuits frequency range while turning the wah pot with your fingers [loosen the rack gear] you may be able to find a portion of the pot where the taper matches the [modable] circuit response.
  The pot taper can also be altered using testclipped wires and resistor[s,
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

JHS

It's one of the best sounding wahs around, a switch and a mod for choosing between McCoy and 847 mode is really cool, also converting it to Colorsound Wah specs.  I would make a clone of the board and mod the cloneboard and leave the original board intact.

JHS