Chances of overheating an op amp with a 15v soldering gun..?

Started by ExpAnonColin, September 13, 2003, 08:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

Is it really that important to get a DIP socket for a LM386?

Peter Snowberg

I've tortured a couple and they didn't die, but I think sockets are worth it most of the time. The other benefit (besides damage free soldering) is that you can swap makes of 386 for experimenting. You can get a couple versions with different ratings from different makers and I've heard that the NJM chips are the way to go if you want to "run dirty". :)

In the end.... solder away as you wish and you should be fine.

If your iron is too hot, you can always use a lamp dimmer to lower the heat a little.

Was that 15V or 15W? At 15 watts temperature should not be a problem at all.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

ExpAnonColin

My mistake, 15 watts.

I was thinking of doing DIP sockets just for trying to switch them out for higher gain higher noise and whatnot...  But hey, the pedal sounded great with the LM386.

Nasse

I always use sockets for my projects if possible. I have quite small apartment and that wife and kids problem when I do a soldering project at a kitchen table or somewhere else. Soldering a socket is quick and easy, and you dont need to worry too much the heat.

But what is the answer for your question? I confess I dont know, but I believe you can find some information at National Semiconductor datasheets. If 386 is used as power amp, and pushed to limits, cooling may be a problem. I have a faint memory that LM380 chip is recommended to solder direct at pcb and some thick and wide tracks can help cooling the device. But that is another chip but close relative of 386 anyway. If I can find my old National Semiconductor Audio Hanbook I look there and if there is some info i´ll post it here. I quess if 386 is used in smash drive or headphone amp or reverb driver yuo dont need to worry and you can use a socket.

I am not an expert but a hobbyist but I believe too small wattage soldering iron is not always safe and good. You must take account not only the temperature but also time. If you heat a component with small power you need longer time. I have it easier for me to make quick solder joints with somewhat hot and powerful iron than other way round.
  • SUPPORTER