Transistor choices for a Big Muff clone?

Started by skiraly017, November 05, 2006, 07:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

Currently using 2N5088's. I was wondering what you've used instead and what the results were? Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

powerplayj

Just ordered 2n5089s and 2N5133's and currently have 2N5088.  I'll let you know the difference.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Khas Evets

I would be curious how lower gain transistors work in the BMP. I know this may sound like crazy talk, but I've always felt that the BMP gets a little mushy at high gain settings. Has anyone tried this?

petemoore

but I've always felt that the BMP gets a little mushy at high gain settings. Has anyone tried this?
  I was just cranking up the volume some on an OS Comp>BMP, mushing out real nice...lol.
  I tried using 2n3904's, was noisy and lower gain...
  BCxxx's [around 200-300 hfe]...pretty cool tone.
  Ge's, I don't think they were gainy enough, I still have on in there though as Q2.
  I ended up for the most part liking best with the HG/LN transistors, 2n5089, MPSA18, but couldn't tell much/any difference between the HG and the medium high gain 5088's...it ends up with 2x 2n5088, a 5089 and a Ge. still fairly noisy, but that mush is worth the stompoffs to eliminate the noise level with Comp>BMP set high gain.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

Fairchild 5089's for me :D
High gain & mush ..... that's the BM !!

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Bernardduur

I tried several but the lower the Hfe became the more useless the sound was............ (to my ears)

5088 for me; I have same 89 laying around and will pop em in today to see if I like em
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

col

I have built several and had good results with BC184C and BC549C. The 2N5088s I tried gave a strange 'after' sound.

Col
Col

powerplayj

............tried the 2N5089 and 2N5133 in lieu of the current 2N5088.  I pretty much want this thing with gain maxed for that saturated Pumpkins tone.  With this much gain, I didn't notice a big difference and since the 2N5133's were a bit less noisy, I went with those.  My next curiosity is what diode type?  I think I have Si in there now but don't have any Ge's to try.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia

Meanderthal

Were your 2n5133s the button or the can type? I've never got my hands on the cans, but I really like the button 5133s I've gotten ahold of and used. They seem to have more grit and snarl than 5088...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

powerplayj

The button ones (from SmallBear).  Yeah, it did seem like they were a little less refined with me as well.

Meanderthal

Oh, and you mentioned diodes. I've found that using one 1n4141 and one 1n34a in the first clipping stage and 2 4148 in the second make for a very rich and somewhat octavey flavor.
I am not responsible for your imagination.